i5 2450m overheat (like hell)

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
hello guys just joined the forum, and i would like to ask if these tempratures are normal, i did some research and found couple of topics saying that this cpu can go till 100C mine goes 99C each time im playing league of legends or something.
I have changed thermal paste thing, my laptop has no dust and its standing on its own case which has little bit of height allowing air to come from the bottom to inside. planning to get a cooler pad as soon as i can afford it.

seems like i cant post a picture if anyone want to check the pic would be great
http://i50.tinypic.com/256xle9.jpg

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
make sure the heat pipes make very good contact with the cpu make sure the screws arround them are well tightened dont tighting to much but make sure it is very firm
then your cooling fan if you could describe how it works does it blow air into the sytem from the bottom or does it blow out

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
it blows air from the bottom, my laptop sits on the table if u can see there 4 thingys that give the laptop some height so it can suck the air from bottom

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
your cooling fan has a grey plastic shroud around it. i think its design is to suck air from the bottom the blow it over the copper heatsink on the left, so you want to make sure it doesn't leak air from other parts like the curved part of the shroud.

So make sure air doesnt escape from the shroud through other parts except the heat sink part(the straight part of the cooling fan assembly)

Make sure the shroud sits very well on the the black part on the motherboard, then that air doesn't escape around the heaksink(it must all be blown out so make sure that straight part of the shroud is flush with the copper heatsink and that all air goes through the vent.

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Its not normal to be hitting temperatures that high i just checked your cpu id picture did you taking during gameplay or while the system is idle.

Anyways typically your Graphics temperature is always higher than the CPU temp so since your gpu is not hitting temps as high as you CPU either at minimum or maximum i will suggest you check the heat sink on the CPU and tighten it very well

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
the pic from cpu id is idle but the max numbers are from gaming, will open the laptop the day after tommorow and will let u know, thanks for ur help, is there a reputation system here or somehow that i can award u with something?

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
i did some clean up from dust and changed my thermal paste and my cpu temprature droped to 94C, i couldnt tho make the pipes or the fan be closer with its contacts cause the fan is on the plastic removal cover, its not in the case so for example i could put some aluminium foil on top of the fan>cooler connection.

p.s sry for bad english

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
i did a test before change the thermal paste i forgot to mention, i removed the fan completly + the bottom back case i had exactly the same temprature 98~99 (remeber before i change the paste) so practicly the fan does nothing

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
so it means the fan could be faulty
you could try something unorthodox if you have a dryer that doesnt blow hot hair try blowing air into it then observe the temp

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
sorry for the late response its because prime 95 doesn't engage the gpu so the additional heat from it is not there.
has it always been this hot or is it a recent development because am thinking you could try downclocking your GPU's 3D clockspeed to maintain a workable constant temperature

watafak

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
sry that took me 2 days to reply was in the army, why would i want to downclock my gpu, its not the problem, also yes the laptop was always that hot, at this part i think i should mention that i have overvolted gpu bios from 0.820 to 0.9125 and the gpu from 590mhz i have changed it into it vbios to 700 as default. i cant think why even if i had overclock gpu to 1800hz how that would affect the cpu temprature? also i wanna hint that in this pic the cpu is the one with the white thingy on it so basicly its heat doesnt leave as soon as the gpu ones exit the system http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-4NDOIG7W-D.jpg

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
its because the CPU is farther from the cooling fins than the GPU, the temperature differential between the fan area and the CPU area affects how much heat the heat pipe can get away from the CPU in your case the GPU dumps a lot of heat on the assembly more than the thermal design power of your cooling assembly. So something has to give either you try and bring down the voltage being pumped into the GPU or you look for a way to beef up your cooling assembly to cope with the higher amount of heat being dissipated by the GPU. I would say you do it as soon as you can because the excesively high temperatures will destroy components if you can get then to at least eighty at full gaming that will be good, good luck.