GTC 2013: Nvidia's Project Shield Revisited (Hands-On)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
At home, it allows you to game on the couch. And? I can do that with a HTPC/PC...just add a gamepad.

You can play Android games tho. And? I got a cell phone that can as well.

So when would you buy something like this? When I can use it to turn on my PC, play my PC games, and do so when I am out of the house. How much would you pay for that? 400 bukcs tops...after that price point I start thinking about a LAN gaming rig.

Do you talk to yourself much? yes.

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Unfortunately the performance of Nvidia's competitor is what is judging the price of their cards. So if you want cheaper Nvidia cards look at the market bud.[/citation]

Other than Titan, AMD has a single GPU card competing with Nvidia at almost all price points (all if we exclude the GTX 650 Ti and even then, the Radeon 7790 is coming up to compete with that) and in almost all of them, AMD wins in average gaming performance for the money, oftentimes having better performance at a lower price rather than just a lower price or just better performance.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Unfortunately the performance of Nvidia's competitor is what is judging the price of their cards. So if you want cheaper Nvidia cards look at the market bud.[/citation]
so then when AMD had the crown and was selling cheaper that was the same? no imo nvidia is greedy my last 3 gpus have been AMD and plan to keep that tradition

Vladimir83

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
To blazothon/killabanks:

Lets talk who is greedy and who"s not

And not make a mistake,am not a team green fanboy.More so every GPU since 2002 Ive had was ATI.
Than AMD kick in,and the dirty game begin.Lets take 7950,the card that sells for about 450-480$ even in light of nvidia new kepler?!They make a huuuge amount off money in light of kepler unaviability,and even when 670 shows up they continue to sells their card with minor bios tweaking(the same OC that everyone can make by self) for over 400$!?
Thanks god I was not in a hurry and take gtx670 when it launch.But many people where not so lucky,paying 150$ more then 7950 was actually worth!

thats my 2cent,

I wasn't saying that AMD doesn't do things that I don't agree with, I was only going by current pricing/availability ;)

On how AMD priced their cards at launch, they were pricing things along the pricing scheme of the cards that Nvidia had out at the time. The Radeon 7970's price was comparable to the inferior GTX 580 3GB and the Radeon 7950 was cheaper than the GTX 580 3GB while roughly meeting it in performance.

When Nvidia got their competition in decent availability, AMD adjusted pricing to compete. So, although I don't agree with it and I too didn't pay that kind of money for my own systems, I do understand plausible reasoning for it (granted why AMD actually did it may not line up with my reasoning since mine is based on observation of the cards, not of AMD itself).

Also, the 7950 Boost didn't come out at $400 IIRC. It came out well after the Radeon 7950 dropped under $400 and it's BIOS isn't just an overclock, but added new features too. It's not like Nvidia never adjusted their either cards physically and/or through firmware to compete with AMD either (remember the GTX 260? Unless I remember incorrectly, a different version or two of it was introduced specifically to compete with AMD's Radeon 48xx cards on a better price/performance front).

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
"So let's examine this for a moment. Google's Tegra 3-based 7-inch Nexus 7 tablet with 16 GB of storage retails for $199, and the 32 GB for $249. The Android-based MOGA gamepad costs around $49. Take those three factors into consideration, and you could argue that Project Shield would cost around $250. That seems a little steep, and if you don't have a Kepler GPU in your desktop, then Project Shield becomes a very expensive Android handheld console."

They could always say it has better speakers, full HDMI, MicroSD and more efficient battery for gaming (unlike Nexus 7). Plus, it's a Tegra 4.

I think they'll charge it at $ 299.99.

It's like a more "media packed/friendly" than a PS VITA.. and the PS VITA is still showing a place in the market specially in JPN.

Can't deny the Shield will be much more of a niche though as it doesn't have the backings of a previous device (PSP) and console brand name (Playstation).

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Nah i think its gonna be 399 if not 499. Its a Handheld device ofcourse its gonna be freaking expensive they always charge +99 for cool gadgets its the premium we pay for the product and its not only nvidia its all the brands.

Be Gucci, Salvatore,Asus,XFX,EVGA,Rolex,Rado,Berlutis,Les Baer, etc, etc, etc. We always pay the premium.And they expect us to.

Vladimir83

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I wasn't saying that AMD doesn't do things that I don't agree with, I was only going by current pricing/availability On how AMD priced their cards at launch, they were pricing things along the pricing scheme of the cards that Nvidia had out at the time. The Radeon 7970's price was comparable to the inferior GTX 580 3GB and the Radeon 7950 was cheaper than the GTX 580 3GB while roughly meeting it in performance.When Nvidia got their competition in decent availability, AMD adjusted pricing to compete. So, although I don't agree with it and I too didn't pay that kind of money for my own systems, I do understand plausible reasoning for it (granted why AMD actually did it may not line up with my reasoning since mine is based on observation of the cards, not of AMD itself).Also, the 7950 Boost didn't come out at $400 IIRC. It came out well after the Radeon 7950 dropped under $400 and it's BIOS isn't just an overclock, but added new features too. It's not like Nvidia never adjusted their either cards physically and/or through firmware to compete with AMD either (remember the GTX 260? Unless I remember incorrectly, a different version or two of it was introduced specifically to compete with AMD's Radeon 48xx cards on a better price/performance front).[/citation]
So the base line is that both companies are known for their "fair" play ;)

That is,if we for a moment forgot all the rebranding,trying to get top dollars until competition come out with something else,two gen old architecture in mobile segment selling as new....and I cant even remember all the subtle dirty tricks..

So my point was how nonsense is this fanboy war,team green that-team red that...... almost as we forget that those corp. lives from our money?!?!

P.S.excuse for every one if my point wasn't clear from the start

If there were some solid real games released for android that only this device could play, they might sell some. But if it's just going to be like every other cutesy swipey game-playing android device (only with a gamepad attached), I'd just go for a an android phone.
A phone fits in your pocket; a screen the size of a phone's with a chunky game pad attached does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.