Stuttering Issues in Games / Help very appreciated

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hello gentleman.

Im experiencing stuttering issues in games, it is very disturbing and affects my gaming experience which doesnt let me enjoy gaming at its fullest. The games in which I experience stuttering are Far Cry 3 and Simcity 2013. Frame skipping is something which may persist as well. In Far Cry 3 it affects me the most even though I have tweaked it a lot. I have enabled multi-threading and added max fps 60 line in the configurations file. Vertical sync is off in both catalyst center and in-game however it is enabled in D3DOverrider as well as the triple buffering option. The GPU max buffer setting is set somewhere around 2 or 3 while other things are maxed except shadows and effects which are set to medium and low. HDAO and enchanted alpha to coverage are enabled as well. Triple buffering is enabled in both D3DOverrider and in catalyst control center. Simcity is maxed and has in-game v-sync off while D3DOverrider has it and triple buffering enabled.

System:

Monitor: Samsung Serie 9 / 27 Inch 2560x1440 75 Hz (60)
CPU: I7 3770 3.4 ghz
RAM: 16 GBs
GPU: HD 7950 3 GBs / drivers: 12.100.17.0

The games are installed on HDD

This issue is very disturbing and very troubling, hope you will help me out.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

V-sync is enabled by D3DOverrider. It doesnt solve stuttering. Which other drivers? The latest beta drivers were optimized for far cry 3.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I have read a lot of far cry 3 tweaking guides and they all said to use the latest beta drivers. The old ones are not recommended and I dont think that they will solve my problem.

You might want to turn off D3DOverrider and use the in game settings. It is very rare that you need D3DOverrider these days, as most games have built in a v-sync option and most automatically use triple buffering or give you an option to do so. Far Cry 3 has both options built in.

Now, I also play Far Cry 3, and it runs extremely smooth, with one exception, occasionally, some of the cut-scenes have some stutter when they move your view a lot. Are your issues with some of the cut-scenes? I've wondered if those were game related or not.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

I am using D3DOverrider because far cry 3 has broken and awful v-sync as well as no triple buffering option. The game runs like crap even though I have reinstalled it on SSD. Horrible stuttering and frame skipping. This really pisses me off far cry 3 has very bad optimization and so many options are broken.

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

It's not far cry 3's problem, you don't here a lot about any bad optimization, it must be a problem on your end bro, I know this might sound kinda lame, but it was my problem once too, check your hdmi/display cords, and make sure they are all plugged in all the way and properly.

Just a thought :)

I am playing Far Cry 3 right now, and it has both, and it works. It doesn't call it "triple buffering", but it lets you choose how many buffers you have when v-sync is on (it is like Tomb Raider, in that it has v-sync with 1 frame or 2 frames). I'm assuming that Triple buffering is the same as the 2 frame option, because you can't have a single buffer, all games have to have 2, so they are probably not counting the display buffer. The option is under the Video menu in Options.

Maybe it is an issue with AMD, but it works for Nvidia.

Note: Many people will say that microstutter only happens in SLI/CF, and while it could be technically true that the definition requires it to be a multi-GPU setup, single GPU's can experience the same problem, even if you don't call it microstutter.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I just dont understand how the problem might be on my end. I have the latest drivers, good specifications, all plugs plugged in correctly. I tried all the possible options and still experience a lot of stuttering. The system and far cry 3 are installed on ssd and the problem cant be in the storage hardware. This is really annoying and I really hope somebody will help me out. If you need any additional info i will be glad to provide it to you.

Update: I am having issues installing a driver update. I get an error when updating it. (error code 80070103) The update is called Intel Corporation - Storage Controller - Intel (R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

May the stuttering be caused because of the absence of that driver? Its an cpu or an ssd driver as far as i know right?

That sounds like a motherboard driver and it could be your issue.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
After some research I have found out that this error code occurs when there is a more up to date driver installed on the computer. So this update doesnt cause stuttering, must be something else.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Update: I downloaded the latest amd ati drivers installer clicked on express and thicked all the available programms. After that install stuttering got reduced significantly but didnt go away completely. After that i started experiencing problems when launching minecraft. It said something about fatal error starting java runtime environment. All other programs except minecraft work great. Please give me some valuable help cause I am doing all on my own and getting absolutely no help from you guys.

Cybertox

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Update: Installing the very recent amd beta drivers reduced stuttering and fixed my issue with minecraft. Stuttering still persists but isnt as disturbing as it was before. Now I have a question, Should I use the high performance power plan in the control panel? Will I experience heat problems? My computer isnt custom made, its an HP phoenix.