Can I buy a True 120Hz Tv?

TV's are true 120hz displays, but as you are learning, they don't accept 120 FPS of information. To game at 120hz, you have to be able to input 120 FPS of info to the display, which currently TV's do not do, at least not to my knowledge.

If there is one, it will have to have one of these 3 input types:
1) HDMI 1.4b, anything below HDMI 1.4b will not work. HDMI 1.4 is not HDMI 1.4b. This is most likely to be what you will find if it ever happens.
2) Displayport. I haven't seen a Displayport on a TV, but it would work.
3) Dual Link DVI-D. I have never seen this either.

logun0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I guess what's confusing to me is this:

I do not need to provide 60FPS to a 60Hz monitor - (I assume this is true as I play games at 30-50 FPS). Why is this different for a 120Hz TV then?

It is not different, only that a 120hz TV cannot display more than 60 FPS, because it cannot receive more than 60 FPS as a result, when hooked up to a PC, it will not go higher than 60hz as that is the best it can do with a PC.

The only alternative is to add the special frame inserting mechanism that 120hz TV's do, which would add horrible amounts of lag.

Also, to be able to get 30-50 FPS, your monitor has to accept more than 30 FPS. The same holds true for a 120hz monitor. To have any benefit for having higher than 60hz, your FPS has to be able to be higher than 60 FPS, but it can't without a better input port.

a 120hz tv takes the 60hz (60fps) signal and adds in extra frames (fakes them in).

a 120hz monitor can take a 120hz (120fps) signal via dual-link dvi (2 cables)

both panels can display 120hz but one is limited by a 60hz input.

Latest posts