AMD Phenom II 965 BE Good for Multitasking?

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Hello guys! I'm back! So I have question. I'm thinking of getting an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. I'm a multitasker, so I really care about doing multiple things at once on my computer.
I am planning on running the following at the same time, but not all the time: Vegas Pro rendering, Wondershare Ultimate Converter converting an HD video, playing Minecraft/Borderlands 2/Call of Duty/Battlefield 3/Crysis 3, running Google Chrome, maybe sometimes unzipping a file. That's probably the most I'll ever run at the same time, and for the games I will only be running one at a time.
I would really like to know if the Phenom can handle all those processes without hurting the performance. Thank you all in advance.

fbbam

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Is it to upgrade a AM3 based computer if yes then its good but you might want to try the six core variant 1100t or go for the fx8320/8350 if your board supports it

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

The six core variant costs more than the 8320 or the 8350. But still, would the Phenom be able to run all those tasks I mentioned above without hurting the performance?

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

So you're saying it might stutter at some points?

durtyzerg

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
As a 965 owner I would say no.

Its an amazing CPU considering the price but Gaming and Video Rendering shouldn't be combined..and I don't think there is many CPUs that could do everything your trying to do at once without seeing some loss, unless its OC'd to 6ghz+ and cooled with liquid nitrogen :)

kydaed

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

kydaed

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
The AMD Phenom II 965 is a pretty good multi-tasking processor depending on what tasks you intend to run, how much memory you have, and the speed of your storage drive(s). I use one as a primary computer in business setting where I have set the computer to run as a workstation and a server for the office. As a workstation it is used for word processing, storing document images, internet research, and has multiple indexers running at all times, and the computer has a disk storage system more comparable to what you might find in a server. I made this choice because a comparable server would have cost more than twice as much money for the same capabilities.

That said, I agree with the earlier post, in that, video rendering + video demanding games (and I would add + Google Chrome, which does not always play nice with other indexers (i.e, quickbooks, time matters, windows, etc, or your internet connections availability), is going to cause significant lag, and perhaps a system hang from time to time.

If you are serious about video rendering and video games at the same time, buy a dual processor xeon e5, load up a high end firepro video card or two, load your os, programs and working video file (rendering) onto two or more large ssds in a raid 1 or a raid 10 if you can afford it; and prepare to pay a fair amount to setup the machine. If you are frugal, and know some people in the business, you might get it done for ~$8,000 to $10,000. Of course, you didn't really define what you meant by video rendering. Perhaps, you just mean skype and a video game; which can be handled by a 965 without issues, depending on your memory and video card. Good Luck!