Is another 670 worth it and will my PSU be able to handle 2 way SLI?

seezur_07

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
So my first question is whether or not I should get another EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW. Right now I'm getting frame rates of ~60 FPS on HD modded Skyrim, and most recently 60-70 fps on Tomb Raider all ultra, w/ tessallation, though I have to turn TressFX off to avoid a 44 fps frame rate with rare dips to 20 during intensive cut scenes.

I'd like a little more horsepower so that I have higher headroom for future games and static FPS in current games. I'm either going to get another 670 or wait and get a more powerful single card solution.

I would like to get another 670 but my concerns are:
-700 series coming out soon. Should I get a 700 series, or wait for price drops and get a second 670? How big are the price drops normally?
-Micro stutter (I've read contradicting articles; I'd be playing with VSYNC on a 60HZ monitor). I've never run SLI before so I don't know what to expect.
-It'd be a 2GB model; I'll have this setup for 2-3 years. I've heard about people running out of VRAM on BF3 and Skyrim with certain mods. This scares me. In your opinion, will 2GB be sufficient for ultra quality gaming in 2 years?
-PSU may not be enough; more on this below.

My second question pertains to my PSU. I have a Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750. It's a 750 watt 80+ bronze certified "high performance" PSU. I've used the Thermaltake"PSU calculator" and it seems like with another 670, and the capacitor aging set to 30%, I would need an 830+ PSU, but with the capacitor aging set to 10% I just squeak by with my Corsair.

I don't have a lot of experience with taking apart computers so installing a new PSU is not something I would do. Is there any serious harm if I purchased and installed another 670 and I didn't have enough power (i.e. would it damage components)?

My system specs are:

i7 core 3770k @ 4.5
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB w/ slight OC and 145% power target
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo
16 GB GSkill Ripjaws X (4x 4GB sticks)
256 GB ADATA SP900 SSD
1 TB 7200 RPM Western Digital Black HDD
300 GB 5400 Seagate HDD (can be removed if necessary to cut power)
LG 24x DVDRW
CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ stock 120mm fan
2x 120mm PWM Cougar fans (1600 RPM max)
4x 200mm CM Megaflow Red LED fans
1x 140mm CM exhaust fan (~1600 RPM max)
TP link wdn4800 (wireless dual band PCIe NIC)
ASUS Xonar DX
Generic 12 in 1 card reader

Only USB device regularly used is one of the fancy Razer mice; mechanical keyboard is on PS/2.

Monitor is an ASUS 24" LED

I apologize for the length of this post but I like to be thorough and I'm hoping some of the brilliant minds at Tom's will be able to help me find the answers. Thanks in advance.

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
That psu is plenty.

As for whether you should do sli or wait for the next generation is up to you. Don't expect huge price drops, prices shouldn't go down $100 or anything crazy like that. We don't really know what the new cards will be like, so if you are apprehensive, you should wait and judge for yourself when they come out.

I'm not sure if you know this or not but vram is not additive in sli. That is, if you have 2 2gb cards, you still only get to use 2gb of vram. Newer games are starting to use more ram, so if you think that will be an issue, wait until the new cards arrive and get one with higher ram.

seezur_07

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah I know it isn't additive. I feel like 2GB will probably be enough for the next couple of years; I can't imagine games will be that demanding that soon.

My last question really is about micro stutter. Is it an issue with the 6xx series on current drivers? I feel like it's counter-intuitive to buy another card to make the experience smoother if I'm going to be seeing stutter.

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Micro stuttering is almost nonexistant thanks to nvidia's awesome driver support. It shouldn't be a big problem until you start doing 3 or 4 way sli. I don't think you will have to worry.