Over Clocking Heating Trouble

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hey all! I'm a little worried about the temperatures I'm getting when I put my system trough high demand video games. I do overclock, but not much because I'm worried about temps. I currently have a AMD Phenom II 1100t x6 CPU and a XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D edition 3GB. The CPU is stock at 3.3Ghz but I have it at 3.5Ghz. At idle the CPU usually sits around 29-35C and when I start to really tax it, it goes to about 40-50C Give or take a little. From research that doesn't seem too bad. I do have an aftermarket cooler. Do you guys think it'd be safe to overclock to 4.0Ghz? As for the GPU the stock clocks are 900Mhz core clock and 1250Mhz memory clock. I have it overclocked to 1000Mhz core clock and 1300Mhz memory clock. Not positive if that is a safe clock or not but I figured it wasnt much, could you guys confirm that for me please? The temps for the GPU at idle are 30-35 and when I play games it gets around 50-70C. Is that safe? I have a decent case with pleanty of air flow, many fans, etc. My room stays pretty fair not too hot, about 65F at all times. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
those temperatures are fine you'd certainly get a bit more from the processor doesn't it turbo to 3.7ghz just try keep it under 55c when gaming, what cooler do you have for it? 70-75c would be the most id let the gpu get to but some people will run them hotter, the overclock you have on it is fine once you don't mess with the voltage

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

don't you reckon he could push to at least the turbo rating of the cpu? there is a bit of play there at 50c max temp

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The CPU cooler I'm using is the Cooler Master Hyper N520. I noticed that 2 of my fans exhausting heat from the top of my case are running poorly so I just ordered new ones so that'll most likely help a little. and as for the voltage for the 3.5ghz clock I believe I have it at 1.35 (I think) it mgiht be set to auto from the BIOS. I'm no pro when it comes to over clocking and my BIOs is rather confusing. Also, the CPU does have a turbo feature but only 3 of the cores are turbo's, I'd rather have all of them running at the same. My goal is 4.0 Ghz but I'm not positive if thats possible, if not I bet I can reach atleast 3.7 or so. Thanks for the replys by the way!

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
no its surely reading wrong 1.35v would be proper, a 4ghz overclock without upgrading the cooler is an unrealistic target it will take more voltage creating more heat and like SR-71 Blackbird pointed out you don't want to go above 60c, i only asked as sometimes if set on auto a motherboard will have more voltage than whats needed for the speed but i reckon you would need to start upping your voltage to get higher speeds

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Ok! So I've ran Crysis WarHead Maxed out for about 10 minutes, heres what speed fan has to say about it. http://puu.sh/2lF2E I'm not positive if tthis is 100% accurate but I figure I'd better show you guys. CPU runs a lot cooler than I mentioned by bad about that! and Gpu is still iffy. What do you guys think?

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I took the snap shot right after I closed Crysis warhead. I'll try again with Crysis 3 sinse it's more taxing give me a few. I won't close before taking the snapshot

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
It also shows your vcore at 1.51v too? Im not used to speed fan but if thats the voltage you can easily set your multiplier higher, id be very surprised if at least 3.8ghz wasn't stable with that voltage, my 1090T uses 1.5v for 4ghz

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I'll download the when I get home from school and post the results and what not. Also, I don't over clock from software I do use the BIOS, I just use AMD over drive and speed fan as refrences to temps and clocks andall that. I currently have it clocked to 3.9Ghz and it seems pretty stable and according to speed fan the CPU was going up to about 40-45. Never saw it hit 50. But the GPU was up in the 60-70's whitch I don't like. Also, there were some graphics glitches it seemed while playing Crysis Warhead. Maybe it was just the game but I'm fraily certain it could also be from the over clocking. I'll post some pitcutres of the glitches if need be. Thanks for the replies guys!

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Sorry for the late replies everyone! Some unexpecte business came up. But anyways, I downloaded that program you recommended and it all works except it doesnt tell me my CPU core temps for whatever reason! But I used speed fan and it says the min was about 30 qand max was 45 when gaming. As for that CPUID HWMonitor program here are results:

At idle: http://puu.sh/2mV5P
At gaming (Crysis 3) http://puu.sh/2mVT3
let me know what you guys think! Also I was getting weird crashing at game launches so I lowerd my CPU clock, seemed to be better but that kinda sucks cause I was only at 3.9 and my goal was 4.0 but maybe I can mess around with some things and we'll see what happens. Thanks!