Need advice choosing GPU

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Hello men,

I'm here today to ask for advice to buy a new GPU for my system. This year, in january, I bought a new system, but I didn't have enough money to buy a GPU along with the whole computer.

Right now (actually, in exactly 20 days from the date of this post), I'll buy a new graphics card for my PC and I'm really out of ideas onto what to buy.

I'm running this setup:

CPU: i7 3770k (Running stock for now, OCing is intended)
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB 2033mhz
MoBo: Asrock z77 extreme6
PSU: OCZ ZT 750 (750w)
Case: HAF 922

My case cooling is completely air flow on a push/pull setup, using 2x 200mm and 3x 120mm fans.

I have no intentions on going for fluid cooling for now.

No SLI or CF intended. I wish to have a single-unit GPU.

I'm a hard-core gamer playing at single-monitor @ 1920x1080 (MAYBE going for a dual-monitor setup). Also, notice that I have a XL2420, and I'd like to have the strongest card to be able to play @ 120mhz with no flickers and drawbacks.

Games that I play:
-WoW (most of the times)
-LoL
-Dota2
-BF3

Planning to play:
Neverwinter
Wildstar
Single-player GPU&CPU demanding games while livestreaming (hence the 3770k)

I also record and edit videos using Fraps, Dxtory, MSi afterburner, Vegas, After FX, and do some basic 3d modeling.

Okay, so as for the GPUs, these are the cards I have in mind (please notice: I've always prefered nVidia, but I'm not a fanboy, therefore, I don't mind buying an AMD card. Keep that in mind that I require assistance to pick the best card; thus, I do not wish to get rage posts from either nvidia or AMD fanboys)

-> Asus GTX680 DC2 (4GB version)
->SAPPHIRE 7970 Ghz (Vapor-X) 3GB
->GTX 680 stock 2GB version (evga or zotac because of the better RMA services in Brazil).

Please, if there is any additional info I could add to make it easier, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
In case I go Dual-Monitors, which setup would handle more properly? I'm not really fond of Catalyst. Have they gotten any better?

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Ok, good, but what about the latest drivers? Are they reliable? I haven't used a single AMD card sinde 48xx. I wouldn't know for sure.

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Sorry for bumping this again, but I would like to have a more "complete" answer and comparition between the cards, to which would be a better benefit to what I'm using the PC for.

I'm considering ASUS GTX680 2GB DCU2,
MSi GTX680 (2GB) Twin Frozr,
HIS 7970 GHZ IceQ x2,
Sapphire 7970GHZ (Both 7970 being 3GBs version).

Consider the following:

Games that I play:
-WoW (most of the times)
-LoL
-Dota2
-BF3

Planning to play:
Neverwinter
Wildstar
Single-player GPU&CPU demanding games while livestreaming (hence the 3770k)

I also record and edit videos using Fraps, Dxtory, MSi afterburner, Vegas, After FX, and do some basic 3d modeling.

Edit: Have been reading way too many complains around 7970 and AMD drivers + v-sync around the forums. Should I be afraid of those?