Ivy bridge update bios

Goldenrose

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Tomorrow I will be ordering my parts for my first computer build but I'm using pcpartpicker and it said that there's an error with my mobo bios: "Some Intel H61 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Ivy Bridge CPUs." I dont know what this means. Please help?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz
MOBO: H61Gigabyte

Ballantin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I don't think you will have any problem, but for this we need the exact model of your motherboard. Gigabyte got a lot of H61 mobos...

The H61 chipset was released when Intel's 2nd generation Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs were released. Basically speaking, the BIOS contains a list of compatible CPUs that can be used with the motherboard. While the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs will physically fit in the motherboard's socket, the BIOS will not be able to identify it. Manufacturers do release BIOS updates from time to time either to correct issues, improve performance, or updates the list of compatible CPUs. However, in order to update the BIOS (called "Flash") you need a Sandy Bridge CPU 1st.

You need to choose a H77 chipset motherboard since that newer chipset was specifically designed to be used with an Ivy Bridge CPU. It is also backwards compatible with Sandy Bridge CPUs.

It is possible that the motherboard you have chosen will already have an updated BIOS which allows the motherboard to use an Ivy Bridge CPU. But you will not know for sure until you receive it. Why take the risk? Just order a H77 chipset motherboard.

Ballantin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

If you check at Asrock website, this motherboard supports Ivy Bridge since the very first release of the BIOS.

Goldenrose

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Well I decided to buy the board. Time to test and see if it works.