Sign in with
Your question

What should I spend my money on upgrading?

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2013 6:02:50 PM

I have a computer which I use mainly for gaming, but also for school work. I was wondering which area(s) I should spend my money in to get the most out of my gaming experience. I'm planning on spending around $200-250. Here is my computer:

Processor: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz 64bit quad-core
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA II
Power Supply: 500W

This computer was pre-built and given to me as a gift. As is probably obvious, I don't know too much about computers, so I would appreciate if any answers could be easily understood by a layman :)  Also, is it even worth it to spend the amount of money I have for this, or should I just save up and get a new computer entirely? (I really don't want to, since I got this one only recently.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

More about : spend money upgrading

March 21, 2013 6:10:32 PM

i would reccommend getting a new graphics card, but depending on which card you buy, you may also need a new psu. At what settings would you like to play games and what games would you like to play?
Related resources
March 21, 2013 6:11:39 PM

2fast4thetown_down said:
Graphics card
I would get a gtx 660

Thanks for your response!
March 21, 2013 6:14:56 PM

commando carrotz said:
i would reccommend getting a new graphics card, but depending on which card you buy, you may also need a new psu. At what settings would you like to play games and what games would you like to play?

The games I've been playing recently: Dead Space 3, Dota2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3. I play these games on high to max settings. It drops frames a little, usually on high with shadows on medium it's nice and smooth. Other games though, like Borderlands 2, which is more graphics intensive, don't run as well. I run BL2 somewhere between medium and high, but there are some settings which aren't even available to me based on my graphics card. Thanks for your response!
March 21, 2013 6:15:14 PM

DrKSpeed said:
2fast4thetown_down said:
Graphics card
I would get a gtx 660

you might want to becareful, what brand is your psu? and a gtx 660 cost around 300$
March 21, 2013 6:17:58 PM

commando carrotz said:
DrKSpeed said:
2fast4thetown_down said:
Graphics card
I would get a gtx 660

you might want to becareful, what brand is your psu? and a gtx 660 cost around 300$

It says "TurboLink ATX-TL 500W-BK 12V" on the side.
March 21, 2013 6:19:49 PM

DrKSpeed said:
commando carrotz said:

The games I've been playing recently: Dead Space 3, Dota2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3. I play these games on high to max settings. It drops frames a little, usually on high with shadows on medium it's nice and smooth. Other games though, like Borderlands 2, which is more graphics intensive, don't run as well. I run BL2 somewhere between medium and high, but there are some settings which aren't even available to me based on my graphics card. Thanks for your response!

Try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it says that it requires a minimum of 500 watts, but i highly doubt its for the graphics itself its probably for the whole system, btw what psu do you have?

March 23, 2013 12:41:12 PM

DrKSpeed said:
commando carrotz said:
DrKSpeed said:
2fast4thetown_down said:
Graphics card
I would get a gtx 660

It says "TurboLink ATX-TL 500W-BK 12V" on the side.

500 watt can easily handle a GTX 660

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!