Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good phenom II for my new motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2013 7:14:00 PM

I just got the Asus Sabertooth 990fx rev.2.0 Now I am looking for a good Phenom II quad-core that will fit it

Can anyone help?
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 339 à CPUs
March 22, 2013 9:11:25 PM

About the only one still available at retail is the Phenom II X4 965BE. But since you have an AM3+ board and the 9xx chipset, you would do slightly better with an FX-6300 or 8350
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2013 12:58:31 AM

I would recommend the FX 8320.
Its cheap, good performance, great overclocking ability.
With good cooling, you could hit 4.8~5.0Ghz on your Board !
Related resources
March 29, 2013 8:16:22 PM

I want one i could use to test an am3 board also so it has to work with am3+ and am3 am2 am2+ boards
March 30, 2013 3:52:02 PM

ok due to budget i settled for the phenom 965BE hope it fits both boards that i have...but am still going to look for the best processor i can get for the Sabertooth
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 339 à CPUs
May 4, 2013 2:24:49 PM

mouseq said:
ok due to budget i settled for the phenom 965BE hope it fits both boards that i have...
Hope the older boards can handle a 125W processor. And have a BIOS that can be updated to accept the "newer" Phenom II.

but am still going to look for the best processor i can get for the Sabertooth

At present, that would be the FX-8350 octo-core.

May 9, 2013 7:20:26 PM

clutchc said:
mouseq said:
ok due to budget i settled for the phenom 965BE hope it fits both boards that i have...
Hope the older boards can handle a 125W processor. And have a BIOS that can be updated to accept the "newer" Phenom II.

ok i already figured that out but thank you.....according to what i found a person has to update the bios to the fx.8350 to work correctly...otherwise there is problems with it working at all

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 339 à CPUs
May 9, 2013 7:35:53 PM

mouseq said:
clutchc said:
mouseq said:

ok i already figured that out but thank you.....according to what i found a person has to update the bios to the fx.8350 to work correctly...otherwise there is problems with it working at all

The only reason that would be the case is if the MB had an older BIOS that was produced before the FX 8350 was released. Check your MB's website for the supported processors and then check which BIOS is required (1006). Then check the BIOS on your board. Either way, it is no big deal to update if necessary as long as you do it before you get rid of the PhII.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#...
May 9, 2013 7:38:01 PM

clutchc said:
mouseq said:
clutchc said:
mouseq said:

The only reason that would be the case is if the MB had an older BIOS that was produced before the FX 8350 was released. Check your MB's website for the supported processors and then check which BIOS is required (1006). Then check the BIOS on your board. Either way, it is no big deal to update if necessary as long as you do it before you get rid of the PhII.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#...

May 9, 2013 7:41:53 PM

I already know that...I was just saying....but to be fair if your going to tell someone what processor they can get then should you not tell them that they may have to update their bios first for the processor to work on their board at all? at least that way they would be aware of the fact
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 339 à CPUs
May 10, 2013 10:06:41 AM

mouseq said:
....but to be fair if your going to tell someone what processor they can get then should you not tell them that they may have to update their bios first for the processor to work on their board at all? at least that way they would be aware of the fact

I thought I just did that. In fact, updating the BIOS holds true with any new processor when installing it in a previous series MB. That is what the MB's website has a CPU compatibility list for.
May 27, 2013 9:19:03 PM

clutchc said:
mouseq said:
....but to be fair if your going to tell someone what processor they can get then should you not tell them that they may have to update their bios first for the processor to work on their board at all? at least that way they would be aware of the fact

I thought I just did that. In fact, updating the BIOS holds true with any new processor when installing it in a previous series MB. That is what the MB's website has a CPU compatibility list for.

If they are like ASUS then the tell you that those lists are not to be used as a guarantee..because they can not be sure is ever CPU listed will work with the MB or not...so obviously they are not all tested with every board...point of fact
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 339 à CPUs
May 28, 2013 10:22:44 AM

Fine. Have it your way.
May 28, 2013 4:54:29 PM

clutchc said:
Fine. Have it your way.

just saying...sorry if you dont like my reply
!