old pc can I upgrade to play tera smoothly or?

pocano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I have and old dell optiplex it runs Tera on lowest settings I can put but it still runs choppy

Windows xp pro 32bit
intel pentium 4 3.4ghz/3.39ghz
3.5gb of ram DDR2
motherboard-Dell Inc. 0F8098 (Microprocessor)
graphics card- 256mb GeForce 7900 gs
233gb western digital sata hardrive

If there is anything else I need to add please just let me know, thanks in advance.

You have GX620 (by motherboard model). Maximum you can go to Pentium D 960, which is significant bump over your current one, but still way under present day and even 4 years ago processors.
Tera Minimum System requirements:
Windows XP (32 Bit Only)*, Vista, 7, or 8 (Latest Service Pack), AMD Athlon64 3200+ or INTEL Pentium4 3.20GHZ, ATI Radeon X1600XT or NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT, RAM 2 GB.
Your GX620 can not be upgraded to Recommended requirements due to CPU.
So, basically, you can get to minimum requirements. Would you wish to proceed? And last question - do you want the best possible upgrade, or just to improve a bit, and your budget?

pocano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

Thank you for replying, will the minimum requirements allow me to play Tera on the lowest settings smoothly? I don't care much for graphics quality, I care more about smooth game play. My budget for upgrading I'd like to keep it under $150 but I'm open to all options, depending on how the cost I may consider re-posting to ask for a gaming build instead. I'd just like to play the game smoothly whether that be with the best possible upgrade or a slight upgrade. Thanks again!

I tried to find something better, but was able to locate only one post with similar situation as yours - playing TERA https://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/How-Well-Is-The-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Performance please note that there are no documented examples for anything above Pentium D 960 (no E processors or any Dual core processors), so unfortunately it is take your chances, or leave it and build new PC.
In case if you decide to go with D 960, you will need small cooling upgrade, not expensive, and get 7750 card, with this setup you will run TERA better than this guy in the above link, since 7750 is better than 6670.
So, please decide. I can not guarantee results, not much information.
If you decide to upgrade, I will help you with finding parts, if you decide to build new PC, it would be better to create new post - will attract more attention.

TRENDING THREADS