is windows defragmenting the SSD or not

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
So windows 7 is supposed to detect SSDs and not defrag them. Well in the Disk defragmentation window it isn't listed under the box for selecting which drives are in the schedule. Which is like it is supposed to be, but then under the current status in dick defragmenter it say's (C:) which is the SSD, Last run : 2/19/2013 (5%fragmented) which is indicating that it is on the defrag schedule and just did it last night!

Now I don't wanna defrag it...at all! so I went into computer management and task scheduler under windows and manually disabled the scheduled defragmentation. I'm pretty sure this will work, but now i may forget to regularly defrag my HDDs,

Can someone shed some light on what is really happening here. Is windows defraging the SSD or not, because if not I will turn the schedule back on and that's one less thing to worry about in my life.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
If you install Windows 7 fresh on your SSD defrag is turned of by default, If you clone it you have to disable it by yourself.
If you turn it of completely even your HDDs aren't defraged anymore.

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah but I can manually defrag the HDD's when they need it. Furthermore, if windows has detected the SDD like it is supposed to then how come it say's C drive last run on 2/19/2013 which is when the schedule runs. Indicating that it has been defregmented along with the other drives. And yes it was clean install on a brand new samsung SDD

You are not alone.

Windows 7 is supposed to automatically disable ssd defragmentation. There have been some reports indicating the Windows disk defrag was still enabled. The solution is to manually disable disk defragmentation.

jac24855

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Yea that's what Iv'e done under the task scheduler, but just sucks that now I have to keep in mind to always manually defrag my HDDS. But whatever maybe Windows will get it right in version 9

TRENDING THREADS