ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Issue?

Darknesh

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi, so I'm getting a new CPU and motherboard (i5 2500k and ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77) but I dont have a Windows cd to re-install the OS when I change motherboards, so I'm trying the usb flashdrive method. I have a 4gb usb stick and I put the Windows 7 files onto it, but when I go into the bios setting for the motherboard I dont have the option to choose the usb stick as boot up to install the OS. But when I go into primary harddrives or w/e right under the primary boot options I can select between my HDD and usb stick as HDD 1 or 2? And if I switch the usb stick as HDD #1 I can change my boot to it, but when I start the computer after doing that it tells me it doesnt detect an OS. :pt1cable:

NduPlessis

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
First thing: Did you format the USB stick and partition it in exactly the right way most guides tell you to? Did you also initialize using the CMD BOOTSEC command? One of the guides I like to use is you can find here.
I prefer to do it manually, as there are programs (I think one is an official windows version) that does everything for you, but I have had a better experience doing it manually.

PS. Hopefully you already know this, but make sure you know which controller option you are using (AHCI vs ATA vs RAID). I would advise AHCI though!

PPS. Nice motherboard :)

Darknesh

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ehh... I have no idea, lol. All I did was go into the "My Computer" and click on the usb stick and format it from there, then I just dragged all the files onto it.

Darknesh

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Well I plugged it into my laptop just to see if it worked, and it did. So I guess it's just that my motherboard is old and pretty stupid.. lol hopefully it wont happen to my new motherboard :)

NduPlessis

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Booting from a USB stick is not the same as an OS displaying file contents. To Boot from a USB stick you need to follow a set of very specific instructions. If you don't have much confidence in yourself, perhaps you should search Google for "Windows 7 install USB program" or something similar to help you. Alternatively, ask a local computer store to do it for you; while this might cost a fee, you can be assured that it will work fine.