GTX670 crashing to desktop while gaming

Supbar

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
My desktop crashes while I'm playing some games, the first two games this happened with windows sometimes gave the message "display driver has stopped working and recovered". However I have not seen this error for some time.

I have tried swapping my card with a friends and I still got the problem even though he had no problems with my card. We have the exact same GPU. (GTX 670 from msi) However no other component in his computer is the same as in mine.

This seems to prove it is not a GPU related problem, however my pc only crashes to desktop when I'm playing games and even then only some games. Some games seem to handle the crash way better then others, instead of crashing to desktop they drop to a framerate of around 5 to 10. After some time or after alt tabbing out and back in the game the framerate is fixed.

My full specs are:
ASRock X79 Extreme6/­GB
MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5
OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III 2,5" SSD 128GB VTX4-25SAT3-128G
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W
Seagate Barracuda Green (advformat) 2TB ST2000DL003
Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-kit CML16GX3M4A1600C9
INTEL CORE I7 3820 32NM 3.6 10MB LGA 2011
SCYTHE MUGEN III REV.B

A list of games and if crashes occur:

• ■ Farcry 3: Crashes very often, cant play more then 2-5 minutes, sometimes even crashes at the start menu.
    ■ Guild wars 2: First game that crashed (didnt have any of the others yet.) Crashes are around an hour apart and just cause a black screen for 5sec and a framerate drop.
    ■ Sniper Elite V2 often crashes in the start menu or 2 minutes into the game.
    ■ Sniper Elite nazi zombies I can often play for almost an hour before it goes down.
    ■ PAYDAY the heist didnt crash for a very long time.(50 hours over 3 weeks) And now crashes once every 4-5 games.
    ■ League of legends has crashed about 6 times in a few hunderd games (30 min each)
    ■ XCOM has never crashed

The wierdest thing is that sometimes installing a newer or older driver (both have worked) fixes the crashing for a few days. (2-3)

I just installed msi afterburner and my GPU temp doesnt go over 75 the power usage is 100% almost the entire game and the Fan speed hovers around 50% while playing FarCry3. No games have crashed after installing afterburner (1 hour ago) so I have no data on that.

I have used a program advised by steam to check if my ram is okay and it gave no errors. I have tried disconnecting one screen, still got crashes(I now use 2*24 inch screens). I have removed the little sound card I got with my motherboard and changed the slot my GPU was in, still got crashes.

Thank you very much for offering any help or even reading through all this!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for posting here, and thank you for posting good detail as to what your situation is.

I also own a 670, and while I don't get crashing like you are experiencing, I have gotten other issues.

Based on what you've put, I'd honestly wager it's bad drivers OR perhaps the card isn't getting enough power. When you install new drivers, are you using a driver sweeper to completely remove all old previous drivers to make sure it's a nice fresh clean install?

I don't think it's a PSU issue, the power supply you have should be plenty fine barring any malfunctions within it. If it was a PSU issue, it could explain why you still have issues when using your friends card that's identical to yours.

Supbar

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

Last time I ran ccleaner before installing the newest driver, I also always choose to erase existing profile's or something like that. Other then that I don't erase anything. Thanks for the help.

Supbar

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I managed to have msi afterburner running while sniper elite V2 crashed. The CPU power usage went up to 150% on the graph and the max value changed to 40468468 (Some kind of maximum value in msi afterburner) The GPU usage didnt show anything wierd in the graph because it is already at 100% most of the time. However the Max value went to 4294967296 (max int). Is any of this usefull information?