AMD CPU frequency scaling options

bigweavy

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Recently overclocked, achieved about a 400Mhz gain and I'm rather happy with it. I noticed however that all 4 of my cores on my Phenom II are kicking 3.4Ghz 24/7.

I obviously don't need this while doing mundane things, and I've got the capability of offset voltage. So, what am I missing here? Is there any way I can get it to under-clock during idle loads? I'd prefer BIOS but I'll take software if its the best option. My board is an ASUS M4A88TD-V Evo with the standard Asus Bios.

Board Linky

It's BIOS looks like this.
bios1_hi.jpg

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I personally use Phenom Msr Tweaker. I have two pstates active, one for 1600 and another for 3800.

I've disable any form of power management on the BIOS.

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Can also OC in Windows via multiplier. Set multi, apply, done.

This is a recent screenshot for one of the threads I was helping on; it has PMT (Phenom Msr Tweaker) on it. My settings are also there.

8584849104_4576da34c0_c.jpg

Use the older version (1.2.2 I think) so you can use a low and high state. The newer version has 4 pstate. I personally just use the lowest possible voltage at 1600 as my low state. Works for me.

bigweavy

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hot damned this is a great find. It's working flawlessly. Back down to my 31C on Pstate 3 with a 500MHz OC. I'm changing my outlook onf software based hardware management.

The only thing I'm unsure/unfamiliar with here is the ganged/unganged mode. The only thing I've ever heard this refer to is RAM. Can you help me understand that?

Oh and my Phenom II 945 isn't BE so reference frequency is the only OC option for me. :/

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

I'm a hard settings kinda guy too (BIOS) but it just laps over the BIOS seamlessly in Win so... I just really had to try it. Been using for years man...

In your case, multi down then crank up FSB/Ref clock. I'd highly suggest two pstates. It's terribly hard to balance the pstates on the newer version of PMT (and I've really tried giving it a chance). Also a tip: when you're about to sleep and have plans leaving the PC on for the night or just on desktop knowing you aren't going to game or need full power, right click on PMT in the taskbar or systray then select power saver (you have to set a low pstate yourself) and voila, low voltage quad core for mundane 2D tasks and yes, it can play flash games as well and browse intensive html pages as well.

Short story, just leave mem unganged :)