Should I be concerned? TX750w & 7970 crossfire

cdrkeen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Hello all,

Should I be worried running these cards with this psu? I know it's enough barely. Stated you need 57 combined amps. Is this too close to the max? Psu I have is rated at 63 amps. I cant overclock these as they are voltage locked and won't oc at stock voltage. Supposedly this corsair is underated and can output around 930 watts based on a review. I've had this psu for 3 years now. It was running in a previous system but wasnt anywhere near full capacity. I've ran games like bf3 crysis3 and benchmarks like unigine heaven, furmark and no issues as of yet.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You should not run a PSU at its max for any extended time. At full capacity you will get PSU noise from the capacitors and the heat will shorten the life span of the PSU. Plus, it may spike and kill other components.
Get an upgrade to a 900 W + PSU. I run the PCP & C 950 W and highly recommned it (but it isn't modular).

cdrkeen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ok thanks for the response. I did a little more reading though and people have been saying without ocing it should be okay. Also from what I hear this model is underated and can output over 900 watts 86 amps while maintaining over 80 percent efficiency and under 50c