Few noobish questions.

trunksdmx

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I am upgrading from a hd 6670 to a 7850, which I just bought off newegg. I was just looking to not screw anything up as I am pretty inexperienced at building. I need to upgrade my power supply as I only have a 460 or so PSU now. I had a few questions. Should I uninstall my current drivers before I power down and unplug? If that is the case I don't want to uninstall the catalyst software completely right. (I'm running all the current drivers no betas) Or should I just eject my old card and swap the new one in, and if I do this will catalyst just understand what I did and act accordingly. Next I will have to buy and install my new psu, I'm looking for the cheapest possible that will still handle my new gpu and have the 6 pin connector. (No crossfire planned, just one monitor 1080) I'm not worried about saving power just trying to get the highest performance. Ive looked over the job and it seems pretty straightforward, some screws some connectors etc. Just wondering if I am missing anything or any advice for somebody thats never dropped in a PSU and could make a mistake.

genoe

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
You should uninstall your current drivers, as catalyst only includes the drivers for the 6670 you currently have installed. I tried keeping the drivers once, but when I swapped the card my monitor was at a weird resolution and I had to reinstall catalyst.
As for a power supply, I recommend the Antec Earthwatts 650 watts.

trunksdmx

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply I will do that. One more question, since its a pcie 3.0 card will having only a 2.0 board significantly decrease the performance of the card?

genoe

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

No, pci-e 2.0 is plenty fast, I believe the only card to fully saturate 2.0 is the GTX 690.

TRENDING THREADS