Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about RAM

Last response: in Memory
March 22, 2013 9:42:42 AM

Hello, I have 2 sets of 4gbx2 Kingston Ram, both are Hyper X, and are listed to run at the same speed, but I was told in a shop when investigating shutdowns that I shouldn't be running these two different sets together even though they appear to be the exact same.

The kit "1600 KT" is I am assuming meant to run at 1600 MHz, but when I am pulling up CPU-Z it is showing dram frequency as 540.0 mhz. My motherboard is
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 fwiw.

How can I know if I can/should combine these memory sticks? I was running them both at one point just fine, the problems continued after removing one of the kits, but I have not added the other back. Is this quality memory? Would it be worth it to grab a g.skill trident 16gb kit instead?

Thanks

More about : quick question ram

a b } Memory
March 22, 2013 9:55:54 AM

As long as the clock timings are the same, they should work together just fine, you may want to try a RAM testing software to see if you have a bad stick.
Going to G.Skill Trident may be a little overkill, as it doesn't provide any benefits until you are going for ~2800MHz range. If you want to get all new RAM, you should go for something like G.Skill Ripjaws X.
!