Netgear JGS524 Switch Causing Connection Issues

Mblack04

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
For the past couple of weeks we have been experiencing random disconnects on our clients connected to our wireless network. We use three Meraki MR24 Access Points in a relatively small building so this was very strange, furthermore we were able to get a solid connection with just one netgear router in a closet. We tried testing each access point individually and they all dropped connection, and now today I believe I have pin pointed the problem to be our Netgear JGS524 switch.

I connected one access point directly to the modem and had a successful connection for over an hour. We need to use the switch and would like to avoid getting a new one since this one is pretty much brand new, only a couple months old. Any ideas or insight is greatly appreciated.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
A unmanged switch would not be the first place I was looking for a issue. These are some of the dumbest boxes around. They do little other than take a packet in one port and send it out another.
But lets assume they discard all the packets that still will not drop a wireless session. Your wireless would still be connected to the AP at the radio level but it would be unable to send data to anyone.
Only thing I would suspect is that the port between the AP and switch is somehow negotiating a half duplex connection. This would cause lots of errors and maybe the AP is deciding it is too many are reset the sessions. Still I would doubt this you can normally unplug the cable from a AP and plug it back in and the users just get no access it does not drop the wireless.

Maybe another device on the switch is sending something to the AP that is crashing it.

allcomputersgo

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I had the same issue witht he netgear JGS524 using apple airport extreme ac units (7 of them). I went back to the older linksys switch and all problems went away. Anyone recommend a better switch? I'm thinking about pakedge.