20 pin USB 3.0 Headers on AMD Boards?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
20 pin? Not sure about USB 3 but USB 2 and USB 1.1 had only 10 with one missing per onboard header. Do you mean 2 x 10 pin header situaed next to each other?

It could be that AM3+ motherboards already have usb 3.0 ports and having too many onboard headers might make the user think that those will add to the total volume of usb 3.0 avaiable, which it won't because you can only have so many USB 3.0 available ports, the others ever to USB 2.0 when an x amount of usb 3.0 ports are in use.

If there were more headers onboard then several of the ports would become USB 2.0 conversion not giving the user adequate access to usb 3.0 support.

What devices or hardware, internally, wold you have that would use usb 3.0?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, I'm talking about this. The header that the front panel 20-pin cable needs to plug into.

usb-3.0_fp-header.jpg

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Sorry, I've never seen a connector lke that, what model number is the motherboard, Asrock althought it does looklike a floppy cable connector, almost.

Also, you are querying about a patented device or connection, it could that it is for a specific brand and PC case and cannot be use as a generic fitting as all PC cases are different.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That was just a stock photo that happened to be of an Asrock board. The header in question has been std equipment on most every Intel-based motherboard since the advent of USB 3.0. Just not available on AMD-based motherboards for some reason. Don't take offense, but you don't sound too familiar with the subject if you've never seen one before.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Sorry, I haven't seen one before, not familar with it, I just saw your Question with no replies so I thought I'd do you a favour and get the ball rolling and maybe someone else would pipe in with a reply (with knowledge).

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Just to add, as I may have already stated previously, the front panel fitting would be for a specific type of case that would not fit in any other type of PC case, as is much the same with front panels not being compliant as a general housing for all PC cases. The PC case for that front panel would be specific to the manufacturer of the motherboard, a proprietory fitting so unless an agreement with other motherboard manufacturers was in force, it would be in use only with ASROCK.

You may note the type of front panel housing in different PC cases, they are very rarely able to be fitted in other makes or models of other PC cases that is why the PC cases come with the front panel pre-fitted, it's the only hardware you basically get with a new PC case.