A10 5800k Running too HOT!

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
On a new build I have an AMD A10 on a Asrock FM2A75 Pro-4 with the stock cooler at stock speeds and it is idling at 50 C and I can't even check the load temp because as soon as I start Prime95 it jumps to 80 and I stop the workers. I have checked and reseated the processor twice, it has good fit and contact to heat sink. Why the high temps? With any processor at stock with stock cooler a guy should be able to run prime correct? Is this a bad mobo, a bad cpu, or a bad thermal sensor? HWmonitor is where I quoted the temps from as Coretemp registers 0 C till I start prime then it registers like 35 when HWmonitor says 80. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Hmm, that sounds like there is definitely something going on with your program. To double check though, you might want to open your case, and when HWMonitor is up and showing 80C, put your hand near the processor and motherboard. If your temp really is 80C, you'll know it...that's going to be something on the order of about ~170-175F and should be more than just noticeably warm. 35C sounds much closer to right...that's going to be around ~95F and is more likely.

Though, we want to be sure which one is wrong...so check it with your hand...I have a hard time believing 80C though...at a temp like that, you'd have some serious issues developing, and may even warp some components, if that were the case.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I did as stated above and while monitoring with HWmonitor,CPUZ, and coretemp, I started Prime with my hand on the heatsink. It was warm but nothing like HWmonitor said it was reading at 109 degrees C under full load I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep my fingers on there at temps above boiling. CoreTemp read 0 at idle which I know is impossible and 65 under full load. How do I know which one is right if any? CPUZ measured the correct values I set in Bios to within .06 V. So obviously its a sensor, now what the board is thinking its at a high temp and runs the heatsink fan on high all the time and I'm sure you know how loud an AMD stock cooler is on high. Should I RMA the board or is it worth my time to email Asrock tech support? On a side note to troubleshoot this issue I updated the bios.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I think Newegg would be quicker about it. I'll just get a replacement from them. Man I've had terrible luck lately with any plate other than ASUS, never had a bad one of them.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Asrock is usually a good board...and I have had decent luck with MSI and gigabyte in their higher end stuff...

Though if it came from newegg DOA, that at all doesn't surprise me...I have had hit and miss luck with them quite a bit...but it is what it is.