I wasn't "admin" when installing chipset, usb, etc drivers ... is that correct?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

I recently (2 days ago or so) reinstalled Windows 7 and don't remember being "admin" or anything to install all the intel mobo drivers and stuff. I thought you had to have "admin" priviledges to install system drivers.

Just curious.

Hi :)

You ARE Admin on a normal one off account...it just doesn't tell you..lol :)

All the best Brett :)

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
If you haven't created a standard user account and logged on with those credentials then you would be able to install drivers etc with no more than a UAC prompt under the initial account you created at the end of the setup.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

What do you mean? When I renistalled Windows 7, I just created a Username and pass when it prompted me. Am I not a normal user? I mean, I'm not running an "Owner" account.

MuddyFunster

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

The username and password you created when prompted during setup is an admin account in so much that it runs in what is called "Admin approval mode", meaing if you want to make system changes it will prompt you with a UAC window and dim the desktop to "Secure Desktop". For the majority of the time you are using Windows under that account it is using a standard user access token, hence the UAC prompts.

Windows needs at least 1 admin account, if you were running under a stanard user account the UAC prompt would ask for the credentials for an admin account. The "full administrator account", for want of a better description, is disabled in Windows 7.

If you only have the one account that you created during setup then it is an "Admin approval mode" admin account.