Are these things all that I need to successfully build a gaming pc?

Mar 22, 2013
This is my first post on the forums, but getting to the point...

I have been picking out parts for the last couple weeks for a gaming computer, because I have always wanted to get seriously into pc gaming seriously as in my current computer specs are: i3 550 @3.2 ghz, intel HD graphics, (integrated crap, but can play some decent games on the lowest setting possible) 6gb ram, not sure what motherboard, because this computer is from best buy and came as is (my parents bought it for the home computer, because our old one is almost as old as me [15 by the way]), so the main thing is that i want to build my own system for gaming. I have been learning a lot about computer building from computer research and youtube videos and I think once I get the parts I will DEFINITELY be able to build it myself. So, can this set of components, once assembled, create a "high end" gaming pc, meaning it will play all of the available pc games with great ease? I think this is in the right, section, but if not, inform me on where it should go and I will post it there and delete this one. :)

Here is the link to my newegg shopping cart: (I have a 32" tv, so that is what the
dvi to hdmi cord is for)

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

PS: can someone recommend a wifi usb adapter, so that i don't have to mess with the stupid ethernet cord?

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Troll much? Link doesn't work

Mar 22, 2013

Im sorry it worked for me, im not trolling

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

lol, its okay, you probably had pcpartpicker open with the parts alredy selected, so the link led you there no worries, just list out your parts.

Mar 22, 2013

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer

COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer

Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1tb 3.5 inch

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Windows 7 Home Premium

COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case cooler

COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case cooler

BYTECC HMD-25 25 ft. HDMI High Speed Male to DVI-D Male Single Link Cable

Cables To Go 25 ft. 18 AWG Universal Power Cord

As I said the hdmi to dvi is for my 32" tv (this will work right?)

I think I need a power cord for my power supply, because I'm not sure that the psu comes with one

I believe that the fans will fit in my case, so that my case will keep low temps, right?

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, the fans will reduce heat and and reduce noise. The hdmi or dvi cables should work fine don't sweat it, the case is pretty sick btw, and all psu's should come with cables, especially corsair, its just that its "modular" cabling meaning that the cables that aren't used could be disconnected from the psu.

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
MEMORY/RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
STORAGE: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GRAPHICS: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card
WIFI: Asus USB-N10 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

here is a completly new build for $1249.54, i aqquired the parts from pcpartpicker, its a website that allows you to choose parts to build your new pc, but the parts are sold from another website such as amazon or newegg.

Mar 22, 2013

I have heard that as rock mobos are kinda flimsy, abd im planning on building this computer right the first time, i do see that the as rock is much cheaper, but i might stick with the one i have, mostly because of all of the good customer reviews. In regards to the gpu, i have REALLY been debating on the 7950 vs 7970, i just dont see THAT much difference in performance for the price gap, for the 7950 as you saw on my other post my choice is the msi twin frozr, because, to me it looks like just about the best 7950 out there, especially if i ever do overclock, but until i need to i think i might stay stock for a while, is the 7970 really that much better? Bcause according to hwcompare.com there isn't very much difference in performance. I also looked at the 680, but really for the price tag, it isn't THAT much better really, also if I were to get a 7970, which one?? I think i will stick with my corsair psu and cm case, but thanks for suggestions, i might have to add the usb wifi adapter to my accesories also. Do i need an aftermarket cpu cooler? I have read that you don't need anything besides stock unless overclocking (i have also heard that the one you mentioned is about the best that there is) i have read extensively that the only thing that you need more than 8gb of ram is for video editing, and i don't plan to do any of that anytime soon, but if it is worth it, i might just have yo get an extra 4gb stick ( which i could just add anytime i wanted even with existing ram if i so happen to need it?) also, i have heard that seagate is about the best for hdds, but if western digital is better than i could just buy that instead.

Thank you

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Don't worry, your parts were great, this was just a suggestion, and seagate is indeed a good brand, so keep that in mind, and just use the parts you prefer

Mar 22, 2013

what is your opinion regarding the 7950 vs 7970?, ive heard that the 7970 has MUCH greater ocing potential, but is it really worth the $100 or so dollars for it? I just can't see getting a nvidia, because i can get the same performance for much less in an amd, but what kind of advantages are there to nvidia over amd?

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Stick with the 7950, as you said performance isn't all different, Nvidia performs better in some games such as borderlands 2, but other than that amd takes it away espcially if you are into editing videos and such unless you are using more than one mitors, than in that case use nvidia

Mar 22, 2013

You have been a great help, thank you. But I want to ask you 1 more question, regarding the ram, is there any need for more than 8gb for gaming? Also, if I get 8gb, can I later add a different stick onto my existing ram? (I would think that you can, but I figured why not ask) Also, I have heard that having 2 stick of 4gb is faster than 1 8gb stick, is this true? Lastly, what is a quality brand for ram?

commando carrotz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

8gb is usually enough for games and most games depend on your graphics card, but most hardcore gamers want to ultra every single setting so 16-32 gb would make it noticeably smoother, but to me 32gb would be overkill. Yes you can add more ram later on, and quality brands for ram is patriots, crucial, G.Skill ripjaws, kingston, corsair, im pretty sure there's a long list but these are probably the high quality memorys, and more sticks of ram doesn't nessary increase performance, it depends on what ram and motherboard, but im sure its just that if you get 1 stick of 8 right now, then later you can add up a second stick of 8 with 2 slots still available, but if you want 16 gigs of ram and get 4 sticks of 4 that you can't upgrade more in the future, its up to you really. That is unless your motherboard has dual channel memory, then in that case take advantage and get 2 sticks of ram