Does motherboard orientation matter to heat pipes?

Amorak

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I am reusing my Lina li Pc-V2100 EATX case to house a Maximus V formula for my next pc build. This case mounts the motherboard upside down. Does this have any effect on the life expectancy for modern day motherboards?

The reason why I am asking is because the computer ran great for 3 weeks then one day nothing would happen when I pressed the power button or the start button on the motherboard. Temps have all been in the 50-60C range when I ran 3dmark. Asus issued an RMA but I didnt mention the orientation of the mobo.

Build...
Lian Li Pc-v2100
Maximus V formula
Intel I7-3770k
Nh-D14 cooler

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
"This case mounts the motherboard upside down"? I'd like to see that!
Post a picture of the "upside down motherboard".

Temps in the range of 50 to 60C is not unusual for older motherboards but your motherboard is a fairly recent model and should be around 30 to 40C at most.

What is your PSU, an under powered PSU will run for a while but will usually run out of puff if the requirement from the other hardware is exhausting the condensors/capacitors in the PSU/motherboard too quickly.

You need to give more details to your PC specs, speed, watts, motherboard manufacturer and model number, PSU brand and moodel etc..

Amorak

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/eomer888/MYPC/DSCN1599.jpg
i cant post pictures yet... but that is the basic layout of the case that I am using. The cpu is below the video card.

I haven't overclocked the system yet but the processor did hit turbo mode (3.9Ghz) in 3dmark.
All components are brand new but the hard drives and the case.

Case: PC-V2100
Mobo: Maximus V formula
Cpu: Intel I7-3770k (3.5-3.9(Turbo))
cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Corsair HX850 (850watts)
gpu: Gigabyte gtx 670 (stock speed) (GV-N670OC-2GD)
memory: corsair vengeance low profile 16gb (CML16GX3M4X1600C8)
Hard drives: 4 older sata disk drives
Optical drive: 1 dvd r/w

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Not real sure but I would have thought it unwise to have the CPU fan facing the ram modules, as it would be blowing hot air at the ram causing excessive heat problems (if the pcture is the same layout as your PC).

The PSU, seated at base of PC, as per picture, does it have a side panel fan, if so as per picture, the fan is facing to the base, not much allowance for air flow, could be suffocating the PSU.

The motherboard is not upside down, that would imply that the CPU and the ram etc would be facing the side panel.

"older sata hdd" would imply Sata 2 (1).

It seems that the most problems that do occur is the use of Corsair Power Supply Units regardless of the model or output. I would have expected the HX series to perform better than the CX series which are quite awful, but they, too, are also not giving good power output. I think it's because they use a low powered fan in their untis to allow for a quiet experience and it is not giving adequate draw of the exhaust air. You might need to acquire a different brand PSU.

You've got a fan on top of the video card (as per picture, if it's the same idea as you have in your PC) that isn't reall doing anything unless the open side, side panel has air vent holes that fits over that fan otherwise, that fan will just be blowing hot air against a panel giving the PC more heat problems.

Check your temps when the side panel is removed then compare those temps when the panel is fitted to the PC.

Amorak

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

hot air is going left to right so the heatsink is dumping into the exhaust fan.

there are intake vents on the bottom of the case and air is flowing left to right from the front intake fan. This case doesn't have the best ventilation but it has served me well for 6 years. I measured the voltages on the psu and asus technical support determined it was their motherboard that went bad. I am wondering if one of the causes of this early failure is because of the motherboard orientation.

"The motherboard is not upside down, that would imply that the CPU and the ram etc would be facing the side panel."
the mobo is mounted on the left side of the case instead of the typical right side. so this means that the heat pipes on the mobo are running from the top down instead of bottom up.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
"the mobo is mounted on the left side of the case instead of the typical right side. so this means that the heat pipes on the mobo are running from the top down instead of bottom up. " Oh, lol, I thought you really meant upside down!

The directon of the motherboard doesn't make any difference except as to what direction the exhaust fans are blowing as on conventional (older) desktop (non-upright) horizontal PC cases, the exhaust of the CPU would be going upwards, and the Video fan exhaust would be going towards the side panel.

Your cooler fan blows over the ram modules, and even if you turned it around, the exhaust would flow over the capacitors and condensors (I can never figure out the difference between those two so I just use both of them [pleading ignorance]) or at the ports housing directly.

Your ram is "low Profile" , that could mean it's voltage is less than what is requirted for the mothrboard, which might be 1.65v and the low profile ram is only 1.5 volt.

You need to give make and model of all your hardware, also the ram serial number, how moany mudules, etc

My Dell "Dimension E520" PC has the motherboard on the other side but doesn't seem to be affected by gravity of heat dispersion but it's a big case with 8 inch depth and plenty of exhaust vents and fans.

You PC cas might be too shallow for a current type of hardware and motherboard which might also be giving more heat. You could test that out by running the PC for an hour, even just at post boot (paused) if it doesn't go to desktop without shutting down (if that's the case, could be a driver issue) and then see if the side panels are too hot to touch.