2 year old 2000£ Asus gaming laptop breaking down every 5 months or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospekt117

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
So My asus laptop has recebtly been giving me the blue screen of death. Im about to send it to the asus maintenance to have it repaired for the fifth time in 2 years. I paid it about £2000 in 2011 and it seems a lot for something that every 5 odd months decides to break. Ive given up on playing really high graphics games on it because it just heats up a lot every time I do (same when I use programs such as photoshop to paint high res pictures, it shuts down on me and I lose everything)... I just use it for internet browsing ad movies now....I must admit i leave it on a lot when i dont use it (in sleep mode, but after a while it completely deactivates), and theres a lot pf dust in my room all the time for some reason, so I think I kinda brought this on myself by not takong care of my laptop. What im
Wondering is: should I get a new laptop? Is there a brand that is resiliant, well designed against dust, and plays games on ultra without breaking apart every somonts?

Thanks for your expert advice guys:)

Unfortunately dust is the bane of all laptops so I'm going to suggest a different path here. Look up disassembling your laptop model on YouTube, see what is involved and if it's something you would attempt. If so, pick up some thermal pads, thermal compound, lens paper (for cleaning the thermal compound from the gpu and cpu) a can of compressed air and precision screwdrivers. Take the laptop apart, the heatsink(s) off, clean the heatsinks thoroughly, replace thermal pads add thermal compound on the GPU and CPU, replace heatsink, reassemble. I find that I take my laptop apart to clean about every 8-12 months because of the dust in my area (and I blow out the vents every other week - I am lucky in that my specific model is easy to disassemble to get to the heatsinks and fans).
Just out of curiousity, does Asus ever report on what they did to repair the laptop or do they just say "fixed, see ya in 6 months" if even that.

Status
Not open for further replies.