Experiencing Voltage Warnings after installing H80i and OC'ing to 4.2ghz

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I am now experiencing all sorts of power issues... After I installed Corsair link it started giving me warnings... "warning +3.3v 0.00v"... "warning +5v 1.27v". What is going on? I figured my 900w PSU could handle my components. Was I wrong? Will my PSU burn up? Will it damage any of my other components? If so, what PSU would be advisable?

Look below for my current setup.

Sounds to me like your motherboards voltage regulators are overheating!

When you removed the stock Intel air cooler and replaced it with your water cooling solution, you also removed the voltage regulators heat sink air cooling around the outside of the CPU socket.

That stock Intel air cooler was cooling more than just the CPU.

You need to position a fan to blow air down on those voltage regulators around the socket.

You could use nylon wire ties out of desperation and add any kind of fan to supply the needed air to those heat sinks!

Your motherboard could have been running hot and barely stable before you removed the stock cooler so this is something you need to resolve immediately!

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

That was my first thought. I turned my h80i's two fans inward to pump cool
Air toward the motherboard. It continued to give me warnings even after reversing my fans. The odd thing is... ASUS Suite II is repeatedly warning me that my motherboard is -60.0c! How is that even possible? That is equal to -78f!

In earlier water cooling days this was a very well know issue, some motherboard manufacturers actually provided cooling fans to clip on the VR heat sinks to provide the lost air from removing the stock air cooler, when using a water cooling solution.

Today it's almost ignored with no warnings.

Were there any warnings on the Corsair packaging regarding this?

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

Oh. Im not sure how I can do that considering the limited space in that region. Also, can you tell me why it has said my motherboard is negative sixty degrees Celcius?

The heat is causing the motherboard sensors to malfunction, trust me you ain't at -60c.

The longer you run it like this the greater the possibility of permanent motherboard damage!

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

There isn't a word about it on the packaging or in the manual.

There will be after someone ends up suing them over it!

A small 60mm fan nylon wire tied in would be a perfect solution, until then I'd remove the water cooler and replace the stock air cooler until you can acquire a suitable solution to the problem.

Or water cool the the VRs, but the Corsair has no provision for that type of expansion.

There are many, many, fellow users in the same boat as you, but your setup has shown a problem right from the beginnig, they won't discover their problem until they go to boot up one day and nothing.

You can resolve this but the longer you run it like this, the more risk of permanent damage you face.

There's no way for me to express how serious this is, than I have already done, so good luck! Ryan

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

I just have one question. Where should I mount the 60mm fan?

(picture of my case) http://www.mediafire.com/view/?tjkvcatdnoy6qdh

No wonder it's overheating!

The radiator itself is completely blocking any airflow over the rear VR heat sinks.

I would first move the entire radiator assembly outside the rear exhaust, even if case modifying is required to allow the water tubing to go through the wall.

You may have to 180 the water blocks position on the CPU if you need the extra tubing to move it outside.

Corsair doesn't give you much tubing do they?

If that's a blowhole fan above the VRs once the radiator is out of the way, it may provide the VR cooling you need.

Set it up as an intake, and the fans on the radiator as exhaust, and you'll have enough airflow to cool the VRs.

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

So... Mount the entire cooler on the outside of the case? My case does have ports for tubing but that would mean disconnecting the hoses... I don't want to leak out all the fluid ruining my cooler and possibly my components. Also, there isn't a blowhole fan. My case doesn't have top mounting fan options... Worst case scenario I can buy a new case.. I just like this one so much. It seems like all the pictures I have seen of similar water cooling situations show the radiator in front of the vr heat sinks.

Looking at your case pictures you do have a problem even case modifying won't resolve, you won't be able to move the radiator assembly outside the rear, because of the case design.

If you had the skills you could cut a blowhole in the top and mount the radiator assembly there, but your case modding skill level would need to be very high.

You could always RMA the Corsair and choose another type of cooler, but you have got to get airflow over those rear VRs that are blocked by the radiator.

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I have a brother who is very good with metal work; however, I solved the issue. As it turns out, I used non-coated washers to mount the radiator fan to the case. This caused a grounding issue. Once I put on coated washers all the warnings stopped.

You're playing Russian Roulette with your motherboard, the motherboard sensors may already be damaged from the heat, the longer you let this go on, the sooner a bullet will be in the chamber!

Sometimes it gets so frustrating here when you're trying to help others using the long time experience of watching failures happen to others over and over, and trying to warn someone to save their hardware.

I've done all I can in this thread, whatever happens will not be my fault!

Good Luck and Good Bye. Ryan

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
......they are room temperature.....My system hasn't crashed... No burning smells... I thinks it's okay to turn it on for a few
Minutes at a time to troubleshoot...geez.