Installing a stereo system.

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys. I'm uneducated when it comes to car stereo systems. I just bought 4 12" 1100w subwoofers for $40 (An acquaintance was desperate.) I have absolutely no idea how to get started installing these into my '08 Chevy Impala. Should i do it myself, or take it into a stereo shop?
Here's some shitty pictures. http://imgur.com/a/2sNEF

Solution
Your first stop is Google, use it to do the following....

You will want to create an enclosure for your subs. By themselves on a board, they won't produce very good sound. You need them to be in the side of a box, or an "enclosure". If you know the model, you can find the optimal box size, volume is key. Volume requirements depend on if you are going sealed, band pass, or ported. Look up to see the difference.

Next you will need an amp to power them. The amp takes the 12v from your car's electrical, and converts it into power to drive the subs.

The amp will need an input signal. This signal comes from your stereo. It basically feeds in the low sound frequencies and the amp boosts the signal up. The input can come from your...

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Your first stop is Google, use it to do the following....

You will want to create an enclosure for your subs. By themselves on a board, they won't produce very good sound. You need them to be in the side of a box, or an "enclosure". If you know the model, you can find the optimal box size, volume is key. Volume requirements depend on if you are going sealed, band pass, or ported. Look up to see the difference.

Next you will need an amp to power them. The amp takes the 12v from your car's electrical, and converts it into power to drive the subs.

The amp will need an input signal. This signal comes from your stereo. It basically feeds in the low sound frequencies and the amp boosts the signal up. The input can come from your stereo's head unit, or you can feed off a speaker output.

So, basically you need three things. 1) an audio signal from the stereo system. 2) an amp to boost up that audio signal and cut off everything above 80 or 100 Hz. And 3) an enclosure for your subwoofers.

I would Google around for complete instructions, there is SO MUCH information out there.

Also, in an Impala, you probably only need 2 x 12" subs. 4 would be awesome, but not needed. 2 will give you excellent bass response.

Enjoy, and PROTECT YOUR EARS!!! :)

Solution

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Awesome! This clarified a lot of things. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS