Sign in with
Your question

New Build Guidance (Last one was over 10 years ago, and that system is still running!)

Last response: in Components
March 22, 2013 9:13:43 PM

First off, thanks for the help, critique and advice.

Secondly, let me first simply state my needs:

My first system I built from the ground up was over 10 years ago and I feel like I just woke up after sleeping for 100 years. I just want to make sure I am paring my components correctly and am not going to end up having to repurchase components.

Now onto the real deal. I bought a 3D Printer and I want a good system to accompany it. I have a $1200 budget, and a great knowledge of general computers and electronics. I am just a little put off by all of the new hardware names, types and options. I have a list already put together and I just want to get a few opinions as to whether or not I have a good set up here, or if I have gone awry.

The main reason why I feel the need for a beefy system is because we want to do some 3D Scans with our Kinect to make some models of existing objects. The real time 3D scanning is pretty intensive on all fronts. Along with the 3D Scanning we will also be doing some 3D modeling in autodesk inventor, which could involve dozens of parts in dozens of assemblies, which will also need alot of performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVID​IA SLI Dual LAN Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H

RAM:Corsair XMS3 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMX32GX3M4A160​0C11)

Hard-Drives (x2): SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25​

Video Card: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

Case: CM Storm Enforcer - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports (SGC-1000-KWN1)​

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R​2)

Thanks again,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

March 22, 2013 11:04:29 PM

Everything looks good, but there is no power supply on the build, so don't forget that. You could probably save some money on the RAM and put it towards something like a higher performance graphics card (that's what I would do), most likely you don't need 32GB memory. Another thing is probably a bit more storage with a separate data drive. Unless you have the money for it, I would just use one SSD for the install and a few programs then store everything else on the drive.
March 22, 2013 11:13:04 PM

motodroidroot said:
Everything looks good, but there is no power supply on the build, so don't forget that. You could probably save some money on the RAM and put it towards something like a higher performance graphics card (that's what I would do), most likely you don't need 32GB memory. Another thing is probably a bit more storage with a separate data drive. Unless you have the money for it, I would just use one SSD for the install and a few programs then store everything else on the drive.

I am planning on the 2 ssds for a Raid 3 setup and the ram is used up extremely fast in autodesk when doing complex parts, would i be better off with 16gb and a crossfire setup with 2 of the video cards? I may be mistaken but the case i chose includes a 500w supply.

Thanks for the tips.

March 23, 2013 5:00:24 PM

I wrote that kind of late last night, and was in a little bit of a hurry. I meant a Raid 1 Setup. Also, I have been looking at comparisons, and was wondering if I could get some input here.

It seems as though there are two different directions I can go with the Video cards, what would be the main benefit or drawback to these two options:

Crossfire (2) 7850s

or

NVIDIA Quadro K2000D

or

VGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5

It would seem like having the 4 Gigs with the Crossfired 7850s would have to have some benefit. However I dont see anyone with that setup....... The K2000D is a great entry-mid level card and is recommended by autodesk. And then theres the GTX 670 which, from what I hear is a great card all around..... any guidance would be great, should I just stick with one 7850 and keep the 32 gigs of ram, or drop 16 and go with a crossfire, or higher end card?
!