My VPN firewall likes to block netflix!

nproctor23

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hello,
My Netgear prosafe vpn firewall likes to block Netflix on both my Xbox and my computers! When connecting both of them directly to the modem, their are no issues. When ever i try to use it connected to the firewall, Netflix will make my firewall disconnect the connection for about 35 seconds and then the firewall reboots itself. When using Netflix on the Xbox, i get kicked off Xbox live and i have to sign back in. I have tried port forwarding, but to be honest i don't think i did it correctly. I have also enabled upnp and qos mode. I am thinking i have to port forward Netflix if their is such a thing? When on xbox live, i only get booted when using Netflix, playing online games is no problem. Anyone know a solution?

Thanks for any advice!
- Nate

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
If it just blocked it I would say maybe you needed to configure something. But crashing the firewall indicates a bug.

Netflix only uses TCP (more specifically http and https). All session are initiated from your internal PC to the server. No session are initiated from netflix back to you. This mean all traffic should be allowed to return because rules are dynamically placed both in the NAT table and the firewall...if the firewall is enabled. There should be no port forwarding required.

This is very hard to say you would hope there would be some form of log message...but then again you may not be able to see it since the firewall is rebooting and losing it.

I would be upgrading the firmware and then seeing if there is anyway you can get the firewall to give you a clue as to why it crashes. Maybe you have a intrusion detection option activated in the firewall that is being tripped incorrectly.

nproctor23

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

My log resets as well as the firewall so i cant see that, And it is already updated to the highest firmware. My router manual says i have intrusion detection but i see no settings to edit that. I am lost.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I guess the good things about this being a actual firewall is it supports much more logging than most devices.

Although you may get nothing if the firewall really gets hung up you could try to enable syslog. This will require you to load a syslog server on some machine. This way any messages it manages to send before it crashes you would at least have. You most likely want to turn on all the logging options you can find and set the syslog to send everything.