GPU Nvidia GTS 360M High temperature

sin2635

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
My GPU temperature is standing at 70-75 C at idle and it reaches about 100-105 during gaming. I noticed that When the first time I bought the laptop, it doesn't give any problem for the GPU, I can run WoW on Medium to High setting. But now I only can play on Low and I only get like 30-40 fps. I noticed the decrease in performance and increase in GPU Temperature.
First of all, I'm sorry if there's threads about this already but I seems to can't find it anywhere.
If anyone is kind enough to tell me the problem to high temperature GPU and decrease in performance. Thanks a bunch.

So you have an Asus G60JX or similar laptop? If so then I have a solution for you and it's a good one. Here's what's causing the problem(at least it was for mine.) Inside the fan enclosure there is a wall of dust that builds up around the exhaust. You can't see the dust unless you unscrew the fan enclosure. So the reason your GPU is overheating is because dust is blocking a lot of the hot air from being blown out. You just need to get that dust cleaned out and you're good to go. Also consider repasting the thermal compound because that might help a lot too with temps. But FYI if the hot air can't be blown out then it doesn't matter what you do because the temps will not go down unless you get that dust out of there. Trust me, I've tried everything and nothing has worked better than getting that dust out of there. What I do is just remove the part of the heatsink that contains the fan, unscrew the enclosure, and use a q-tip to remove the dust. I've had to do this twice so far over a one year period. Also if there is any dust clogging up the vents on the bottom remove that dust too. Anywhere you see dust remove it. And you need a very small 4 way screw driver to unscrew to fan enclosure if you have the same laptop as I do.

You need a screw driver like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Opening-Tool-0-8mm-1-2mm-Cross-Screwdrivers-Suction-cup-for-samsung-/190829669465?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c6e55ac59

Kapn

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I own a Asus G60jx, best solution I found for overheated laptops is use your home air conditioning unit. You MUST drill holes in the bottom of the case, re-apply thermal paste (recommended), clear vents and direct air flow from beneath to out the proper vent. I ran SpeedFan, before GPU while gaming was well over 80C now my temp is 30-40C. FRAMS tells me over 30fps on Witcher 2 low setting and around 20 on high, no ubersampling. While this renders laptop portability useless, a small box fan from Wal-mart would work far better than any USB cooling pad. Nothing more irritating than game machine that overheats! In addition, apply a coffee filter or such to avoid dust build up and use the fan setting on your ac unit to avoid condensation. Water bad, air good. Happy Gaming!

Asus G60jx
Windows 7
i5 430m 2.26 - 2.53gHz
Nvidia 360m 1GB
8gb Kingston RAM
160GB Intel SSD