Problems booting linux w/ AsRock z77 Pro 4

Essence_of_War

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I have an AsRock z77 Pro 4 Motherboard w/ UEFI BIOS P1.40, and I've used the UEFI BIOS to install windows 7 Ult 64-bit on my main boot drive.

In the past I've been very fond of TeraByte's Image for Linux (TBImage) to do back-ups, Gnome Partition Editor (GParted) to do partitioning and formatting, and I dabble in Ubuntu occasionally. However, I am unable to boot from my boot-able CDs/DVDs for TBImage, GParted, or Ubuntu. In all cases, the system looks like it's booting from the external media and then hangs indefinitely at some point in the process.

So far:

I've tested the media on a 6-ish year old ASUS MoBo in a different computer and all of them cause that computer to boot from them normally.

I've enabled booting from Legacy ROM in my UEFI. This doesn't appear to have any effect, all the bootable media continue to hang.

I've disconnected all non-essential external devices. I only have a mouse and keyboard attached externally. This does not resolve the hanging problem.

I've tried burning new copies of both GParted and TBImage bootable cds, and the new ones hang in the same places as the old.

I suspect that maybe there is some sort of secure boot problem, but there is no option in my UEFI BIOS to disable secure boot. I'd really like to get these bootable media working, any suggestions?

Essence_of_War

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I was able to resolve this issue.

I updated to the latest asrock drivers, which included a disable secure boot option.
I disbled secure boot, and tryed linux w/o installing, but first edited the command to delete the 'quiet' and 'splash' flags to show boot codes.
I found that ubuntu was hanging at:
"Ata7: hard resetting link"
Which is usually a hard disk error, but since I was only using an optical drive, I suddenly suspected it was related to attaching my optical drive to a sata3 port. I initially connected it to sata3 since I have several, and one was close to the optical bays, but I reconnected it to sata2 and was able to reboot into try linux, gparted, and tbimage without any problems.