Radiator (In parallel or series)

ashrafkreidieh

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Dear Team,

i planning to buy "Phobya Radiator Stand - Black - Bench Edition: Supernova 9x140mm/4x200/4x220" and i want to mount to two radiators inside the box.

I have two Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm, i currently using only one but if i want to installed the other radiator do i benefit if i did a parallel setup???

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Essentially, you would be creating a (sort of) dual loop. First of all - (check forum sticky FAQ) single loops is just as if not more effective than dual loop. Second, trying to balance flow between the 2 lines is EXTREMELY difficult. You would benefit most from series, regardless of order of components. The only way parallel would be beneficial is if you had 2 pumps coming off the res, or dual output pump. But then we are back to the single vs dual loop consideration. Go series.

*edit another issue of parallel, reducing flow by the splitting reduces effectiveness of those beautiful rads. More flow simply is better

ashrafkreidieh

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
i will always go for single series loop as my current setup, i already have two pumps running in a series under the res..

im encountering a high restriction in my loop due to my blocks, so i will be adding another pump as well after the radiator help the flow, which also meaning adding second radiator.

the fact that my vga cards are running in parallel setup to help flowrate, would this concept be applied to the radiators as well...

i search the net about this question in hand but no luck, so looking with some experiences and facts to this setup as a
good or bad.

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

What pumps are you running? Are they Res/pump/pump/rad? Might I suggest, depending on the pumps of course, running Res/pump/rad/pump instead? the pumps right next to each other would negate any gained benefit of dual pump

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
oh dear gods! at full flow that's 1500 LPH 3.7 pressure at head! 2 pumps should be more than enough for those 2 rads. series res/pump/rad/pump/rad/res. elim second rad until added and you will find that even at setting 3 for 3300rpm you will have more than enough flow to adequately cool. make sure both pumps have the same setting. Should you find a high restriction still, increase rpm on second pump in series. Though unlikely that will be necessary. Or blast the crap at full bore on both and OC like a boss LMAO - please do keep in mind at full flow those pumps pull 23w each

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
If you are referring to pump RPM here's your pump specs:
Technical specifications:
Dimensions (WxHxD): 65x65x57mm (without connectors)
Motor: Electronically commuted spherical motor
Rated voltage: 12V DC
Power consumption: 23W
Permitted voltage range: 8-24V DC
Pressure head at 12V: 3,7m
Maximum flow: 1500l/h
Pumped media: Water, water/glycol mixtures
Maximum system temperature: 60°C
Materials: Stainless steel 1.4571, PPS-GF40, EPDM O-rings, Aluminium oxide, hard coal
Special features: Adjustable in five steps
Step 1: 1800 rpm
Step 2: 2550 rpm
Step 3: 3300 rpm
Step 4: 4050 rpm
Step 5: 4800 rpm

So really I would suggest 2k rpm for effective opening flow - you can try 1k and watch temps, but suggest 2k minimum. That would provide you with approx. 650-675LPH. In addition, if you are having flow restriction concerns, you need to overcompensate flow and keep that pressure up