Is my Corsair CX430 damaged? And is it time for me to get a new case?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hey, Mike2012 here. A couple months ago I bought a Corsair CX430. I originally put in my HP Case, but it was very difficult to get in and there's visible damage on the outside of the power supply. But it works... However, I hear a loud fan inside my case, is this a sign of a broken PSU?

I also tried to moving it to a Dell case, but it was still difficult to get and I probably did cause outside damage to the PSU while trying to fit it in.

So, what are the chances that my PSU is actually damaged internally?

Also, is it time for me to just get a new case? If so, can you guys recommend me some cases that are large enough for a high-end graphics card, but can also fit a power supply in with no problems?

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Probably not, it is just a sign of a loud fan. It could be because the PSU is getting bad airflow and is heating up more than it should, so the fan tries to spin harder to compenstate. Still, the only way to really know if a PSU is malfunctioning is to take it to a profession and have them test it. Not sure if there is one in your area.

I also tried to moving it to a Dell case, but it was still difficult to get and I probably did cause outside damage to the PSU while trying to fit it in.

So, what are the chances that my PSU is actually damaged internally?

Slim, some external scratches should effect the internal components. That case is for your protection, so you don't touch wires handling a large amount of current. I mean, did you actually poke a hole in PSU?

Also, is it time for me to just get a new case? If so, can you guys recommend me some cases that are large enough for a high-end graphics card, but can also fit a power supply in with no problems?

This describes A LOT of cases, so you are spoiled for choice my friend. Essentially, Intel has created a standard for PCs called ATX. Any ATX PSU (which I'm pretty sure includes yours) should fit into an-ATX case (though some cases are made to make it more difficult. Now, giant video cards are a slightly different story and can cause problems as some cases just lack the internal space to fit them.

This is my case and I know it would work for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010 .

It also looks a bit more professional than most gaming cases. Like I said, you are spoiled for choice if you chose to get a new case.

I know this doesn't solve the loud fan issue though. I suspect it is an issue of airflow, or it could be that the fans was just a bit of a stinker and is louder than it should be.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Well, I may just go for a cheaper though, something around $60 or less.

This is the case I'm using now:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373634/Inspiron_560_Desktop_Computer

And I found it super difficult to put in the power supply, because it has brackets. Any case that doesn't have these brackets and makes it super easy to insert a new power supply should do.