New PC Build Wi-Fi

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
In the coming months I'm going to be building my own desktop PC which will be using Wi-Fi, simply because I can't route an Ethernet cable from the living room to my room. I'm a complete dunce when it comes to networking and was simply wondering whether Wi-Fi comes built into the motherboard (or something along those lines) or whether I have to invest in a product like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN822N-300MBPS-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003VIY03Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Even if Wi-Fi comes built in, for gaming, would this product help strengthen the connection to a noticable degree?

The router is directly below my PC, just on the floor below. Thanks :)

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Some motherboards come with wifi, it is not a common feature. What many have is a wireless card similar to a laptop and a couple of small antenna you mount on the back of the case.

I would go with the USB unit you linked. It is one of the better ones and supports things like 2x2 mimo (ie 300m)

It allows you more selection of motherboards, you are not stuck choosing between one that have wireless. The USB also give you the option to place it at different location in the room where the reception might be better. Ones built into the computer may limit where you can place the computer in the room.

Cost wise I suspect it may be cheaper to go with the USB.