Secondary Internal Hard Drive not found by Windows 8 after formatting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob17

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

I've recently formatted a computer which was running Windows 8. I have installed Windows 8 back on to the computer, and have got everything working again except my secondary internal hard drive.

When I formatted the computer, I disconnected the second hard drive, as this only contains personal files and does not have any programs installed on it, so I did not want to lose this data.

I have now reconnected the second hard drive to my computer, but Windows does not pick it up. It shows up in the BIOS screen, but does not show up in the disk management screen or the device manager screens on Windows.

Does anybody know how I can get Windows 8 to detect this Hard Drive, and how I can do this without losing any data. The Hard Drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green 2tb hard drive, and the motherboard is a P8Z77-V LX2.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this.

Solution
Hmm. UEFIs not my strong point, but I think the answer lies in there somewhere. The SATA configuration could affect it, perhaps ensure both drives are in the same bank of SATA ports, or shift them around to see if it makes a difference. There is a section on the UEFI in the Manual, but I haven't studied it in depth yet, need to find any reference to Hard Drives. Might even be worthwhile to set default settings. There appears to be an array of seemingly complicated controls over the Drives, RAID, Intel Smart Response etcetera. (Manual on Support disk)
Whilst you should be in AHCI mode for efficient SSD operation, perhaps try IDE to see if it brings the HDD back into play.

rob17

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Hi, thanks for your help with this. I think this may be the problem but I'm not certain as I can't spot an option to enable/disable devices on the motherboard. I've posted some screenshots from the BIOS screen (sorry for the links, I couldn't get the pictures to post as my account isn't validated, and I'm not sure how to do this as I've already clicked the link on the email.)

The hardrive (P2: WDC) shows up on the boot menu, but not on the boot priority:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12498007/640/12498007.bmp[/IMG][/URL]

On the advanced boot menu, the hard drive shows up as disabled:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/12498043/640/12498043.bmp

However if I click on Hard Drive BBS Priorities, it shows up again:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12498109/640/12498109.bmp

Is this what you meant on your post, and if this is the case, do you know what option I have to use to enable the hard drive. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hmm. UEFIs not my strong point, but I think the answer lies in there somewhere. The SATA configuration could affect it, perhaps ensure both drives are in the same bank of SATA ports, or shift them around to see if it makes a difference. There is a section on the UEFI in the Manual, but I haven't studied it in depth yet, need to find any reference to Hard Drives. Might even be worthwhile to set default settings. There appears to be an array of seemingly complicated controls over the Drives, RAID, Intel Smart Response etcetera. (Manual on Support disk)
Whilst you should be in AHCI mode for efficient SSD operation, perhaps try IDE to see if it brings the HDD back into play.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.