How to use HDTV as a main computer monitor

i currently have a desktop with an HDMI port and a HDTV to connect it with. I connect both ends of the HDMI ports to the TV and the desktop , but it wont display anything on the tv. Did i do something wrong? do i need to do something on my computer to make this work?
9 answers Last reply
More about hdtv main computer monitor
  1. Do you have your computer hooked up to a monitor as well?
  2. but i wou;d really like to use my tv as a monitor so i can dump my old monitor and have more room on my desk
  3. Do you want to use one at a time or both?
  4. thehiddenlotus said:
    Do you want to use one at a time or both?


    i just want to use my tv as the main display, i want to dump my old computer monitor
  5. If you want only use your tv, you should be able to simply unplug you monitor and your pc should recognize and use the tv (I would turn on the pc before you unplug anything.)
    Or you can go...
    Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution
    you should see 2 monitors, choose only to use the tv in the drop down menu
  6. thehiddenlotus said:
    If you want only use your tv, you should be able to simply unplug you monitor and your pc should recognize and use the tv (I would turn on the pc before you unplug anything.)
    Or you can go...
    Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution
    you should see 2 monitors, choose only to use the tv in the drop down menu


    I tried the first one , but i dont see anything on my TV screen. As for the second one, it just shows me the computer monitor(dell monitor) and not the other option =/
  7. Sounds stupid but try the HDMI cable the other way around, had this happen to me a few times where running a laptop out to a TV just wouldn't work, tried the cable the other way and for absolutely no reason it started working.
  8. cookybiscuit said:
    Sounds stupid but try the HDMI cable the other way around, had this happen to me a few times where running a laptop out to a TV just wouldn't work, tried the cable the other way and for absolutely no reason it started working.


    it didnt work T.T
  9. Are your video outputs on a Graphics card or just your motherboard?
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops How To HDTV Connection Computers Monitors Graphics