desktop suddenly 30% bigger

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
ive got an ati radeon hd4770 & acer 22" lcd monitor ive been running ok for 3 years & upon reboot yesterday my desktop came up too big for the display in XP. I have to move the mouse along the borders to see it all.

i normally run 1680x1050, the supposed max res of the monitor, & found I had to set the res to 1600x1200 to get the desktop to fit the screen in XP tho this throws the aspect ratio of pictures/video off.

I checked my other op systems & found the res had reset itself to 1024x768. im normally in xp but also have win7-32, win7-64 & ubuntu on this machine. it was 1024x768 in all of them tho i noticed the whole desktop did fit in the screen.

i been googling like crazy & none of the answers seem to apply: magnifier, dpi, icon size, etc.

when i boot, the mobo screen & my boot program screen seem the same but i think theyre at lower res anyway.

anyone have any ideas?

dblake

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i found it.
the system had lost the monitor somehow & was using a generic vga.
i told it to scan for new hardware in device mgr-monitor properties in xp & it switched to acer with model # displayed & correct resolutions were back in all op systems.