Ultra Cheap A10 5800K Build

Keoki77

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I'm working on an ultra cheap build using an A10-5800K. My mobo and APU should arrive in a few days and I am seeing many discussions where people are saying how hot these run using the stock cooler. Any suggestions on a good cooler that will fit in a case that is just under 7 inches? Im using an old Compaq case for now, hey, I got it for free... I was also able to scavenge the rest of my parts free, hence the "Ultra Cheap" So far Im into this project for $120 APU, $77 mobo. Here is the build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LKNH The mobo I ordered is pretty new so there is not a lot of user reviews on it, anyone use this one yet?(MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35) I want to do some gaming on steam and use it as an HTPC. I would also like to play with overclocking as this is my first AMD machine. I'm looking for any suggestions on coolers and graphics cards. I will also be upgrading my case and Ram as my budget allows, so suggestions on those will be appreciated as well. Anyone that has a similar build that they would like to share their results would be great too...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
With a well ventilated case, yes. But that goes for any cooler. I have no idea what your Compaq case looks like, but I'm betting it has a top mount PSU and a single rear exhaust fan. If so, can you add more fans?

Keoki77

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
The case is an old Compaq Presario SR1907CL, I installed a 92mm in the back and I added an 80mm onto the side panel, both setup as exhaust since there is no front of case fan but air is pulled in from front vents.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the best set up for air flow, but give it a try. The big Gemini cooler will be adequate, I believe. If your PSU is mounted in the top of the case and its fan is drawing case air thru it and out, it will help too. But measure to be sure there's no obstructions that would be in the way of the Gemini. It has a large 120mm fan.