Is my system underperforming?

Irbyz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi.

I've recently bought Palit GTX660 OC 2048Mb GDDR5 graphics card and installed it in my system.
Seems like I have lower performance in some games than I'd expect.

As I have 120Hz monitor I'm trying to get 120 FPS in some old/not resource hungry games.
In Diablo 3 FPS starts to jump whenever I encounter group of enemy or load new location. Also using spells, especially ones that let me quickly travel from one area to another seem to affect this. During it i can notice some very annoying stuttering/frame loss. Even if i cap FPS at 60, i will still have this. VSync is disabled both in the game and in NVIDIA Control Panel.
I can notice the stuttering in COD4 too when playing single player on max settings. FPS is also very unstable depending on the location, sometimes dropping to 80, sometimes to 50 and lower. And this game is from 2007...
FPS drops and stuttering also happened to me in Portal 2, although very rare, mostly when entering new place, otherwise there's no stutter and it's steady 120. Portal 2 is using old Source engine so that also seems to be pretty strange.
In League of Legends i first have stable 120 FPS but after some time in game it starts jumping to around 100, even to 33 a few times.
I'd be fine with FPS droping however, just this stuttering/very short freezing is what annoys me the most.

I'm not actually sure if it's graphics card issue or drivers issue, or other parts. If hardware is faulty or it's just how it's supposed to be given rest of my system is 2,5 years old and can be bottlenecking graphics card.
But quite some time ago I had GTX560 for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't try to measure performance back then, but i don't remember any noticeable stuttering in COD4 during that time. I didn't have USB DAC/AMP back then though which probably drains some of CPU power with software mixing.

Here's the rest of my system config:
CPU Intel Core i3-530 2.93GHz 4Mb Cache
RAM Corsair XMS3 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR3 1333MHz
MB ASUS P7H55/USB3
HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 1Tb 64Mb Cache (and some old 160Gb Seagate, don't remember the actual model)
PSU Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W
Monitor LG W2363D-PF 120Hz
Audio FiiO E10 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier (onboard audio is disabled in BIOS)

I think CPU did start to heat more recently, now i get alert messages from ASUS AI Suite about 65-68 C temp on the CPU while playing games. Never had those messages before, but i don't remember if i ever measured what would be max temps for my CPU under load before. CPU also seems to be more noisy now.
Maybe it can be PSU too since it did survive quite a few electricity shutdowns, and it's already not very good as i was told. It's also older than the rest of my system, might be around 4 years, not sure.

I'd like to find out if my PC performs worse than it should and if yes then why.
In case of bottleneck I'm looking for advices how i could upgrade without paying too much and replacing the rest of my system all together.. Maybe I could just buy new CPU heatsink and overclock CPU, buy more RAM...

Thanks in advance!

Irbyz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Well, i do understand this yet COD4 is game from 2007 and my system must be far better than hardware of that time, yet FPS can drop below 50 and stuttering is present...