Can I use a PCIe x1 GPU in combination with another GPU?

orionanomaly

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I have an HD6990 GPU (running currently 4 large monitors) - I should probably have another GPU running, but I have run out of PCIx16 slots (they're occupied); I'm wondering if I can use a PCIe X1 slot GPU in concert to drive one of the displays and take some of the 'work' off the other one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195067

I'm wondering if the drivers would be a problem, as this uses, I believe, workstation drivers, whereas my other GPU uses Catalyst Control Center...

Does anyone have any experience using one of these x1 GPUs?

arges86

Distinguished
In theory it would work.
But i don't know if the overhead of a second card, reduced to PCI X1 is worth it.
It may actually reduce performance, as it could take up more resources to device labor than the card can output.

I usually caution about mixing cards... if you want two, then you really should have two of the exact same card. this reduces any chance of problems... especially in the workstation environment.

orionanomaly

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
According to some reviews of the PCIE x1 GPUs, apparently people do use them to expand monitor outputs and they work. Obviously sticking to the same brand as any extant cards AMD/nVidia is a must - and while they do work, people report (somewhat expectedly) that there can be driver issues since both cards usually need different video drivers... guess I'm going to have to try it...

justajohn

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I don't know if this is really a good option in this instance because the hardware might be way too valuable to put at risk with a hair-brained scheme and as I have never tested it myself on this kind of application.

I have modified successfully a PCIe x1 slot to accept a PCIe x16 card and it works without a hitch... granted all those extra pins are not there just for looks. With higher end cards in newer PC's I'm not sure just how far you could push this type of hardware hacking let alone trying to run crossfire SLI configurations with it. But if it will at least give you a better option for multiple displays with your current configuration well it may be worth it to you.

My experience with this is procedure is documented here ---> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386135-33-video-card-dell-dimension-e310#10694172

As you can see it was performed on a forgotten PC that I was really just doing this on because I had an equally old Dell Dimension E510 that got a few newer things and I had left-overs and free time. LOL
If you aren't into chopping up card slots to try and save a buck just to fry your whole rig... well I don't blame you.

I may try the crossfire technique down the road when I have a much newer primary PC and I can forget about trying to keep the old E510 alive just so I can prove it can work... or fry it trying.

Anyways... hope my info can help in some way.