First PC Build - Advice on parts and such.

xkill88

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I am looking to build a pc mainly for gaming and I have the aim to run almost every game max everything for at least the next 3 years or so.

I have looked at some parts and costs and have come up with the following:

ASUS P8Z77-V-LE-PLUS Motherboard In stock $159.00
G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $92.00
Intel Core i7 3770 $309.00
Corsair AX860 Platinum Power Supply $259.00
Corsair Obsidian 550D Case $169.00
Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller for Windows $49.00
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers $99.00
Corsair Force Series GS 240GB SSD $235.00
2x Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 2GB $479.00 In SLI
LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive $55.00

I aim to game at 1920x1080p only 1 monitor but I want it to run 60 fps constant with max settings on everything.

Is this enough? is it overkill? are there problems with the build, does it need water cooling? I do not aim to overclock either.

ill be frank with this. id say you are doing it wrong in every aspect

-you can get a much better board for 5 bucks more
-fast ram is utterly useless
-you dont need that efficency and the fact that i can get my psu for half the price and be just as good makes the ax860 useless
-you dont need 800w
-i7s are not for games
-the R4 is a better case than the 550D
-if you are gaming with a xbox controller on a pc, something is wrong. at that rate, id rather get a console. but then its your choice
-id game with a good headset instead
-just as good SSD for a lot cheaper
-you dont need 2 video cards to start off with. you can always add another when you need performance
-670s perform the same as the 680s
-i hope you actually watch blu-rays

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LPIe

if you are not overclocking, you are doing something seriously wrong at this budget range. nowadays there are so many guides to overclock and so easy to overclock its literally no excuse that you cant overclock. nevertheless, if you dont want to overclock, get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LPJA

-got a locked CPU instead
-reduced motherboard since you cant make use of the vrm avaliable on the ud4h anyways with a locked chip

Marcopolo123

Honorable

I agree !

teemogeek

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i agree with TheBigTroll.

This is an Overkill build. $1900 for a gamin Rig is OP.

Here are my suggestions:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ( $209.99 Newegg )
- i5 3570k is the best choice. you can do overclock in the future if you need to. this will give you atleast 3-4years for your gaming PC.
- get the i5 3470 if you dont plan to OC

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99)
- 8Gb of RAM is more than enough for a gaming RIG, however, you can choose save up some $$ in buying RAM

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ($100.17 Newegg )
- 800W is overkill for a PSU, a 650W is more than enough for your build

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($172.99)
- if you can afford a 256Gb SSD is good, but look for cheaper alternatives, i recommend the Samsung 830/840 series
- incase that you'll do other stuff with this PC, I suggest you get atleast 500Gb of HDD for saving some files that you might need

for the rest of the parts i leave it to you, it depends on your personal preference. Hope this helps

i see that you really want to game on this machine that's why you have extra peripherals like the xbox 360 controller. I have one too, I use it to play NBA2k13 and GTA4. I'm just not sure about a blue-ray player, will you be using that to play some console games on the PC? (for some games that are PC compatible?)

@noob12

-no point of a hyper 212 if you are slapping it ontop of a xeon. they run at like 60c at full load even with that junk heatsink included
-he can definitely afford a better h77 board
-ram is overkill
-hard drive is definitely overkill. i dont see how anyone uses 3tb unless they are doing a server build or rendering a ton of videos
-vector is overpriced
-regular 7970 is 50 bucks cheaper and performs the same. i dont see how anyone would recommend one
-850w isnt ever needed. you got a b75 board that doesnt even do SLI or crossfire
-why the heck would you recommend that enermax case when he has a matx board and only one GPU that needs to be cooled? dont pull that watercooling thing out again. it makes no sense to WC a non-overclocked CPU and a single GPU

oh and, you got 2 optical drives in there.

the xfx 550w is perfectly fine for single GPU operations. basically a clone of a seasonic s12ii but for half the price.

demanding gold efficency is useless. its like 5% more efficient than a bronze unit, and at that rate, all you save is pennies a year

what a joke. they are the same units inside and out. all that is different is the chassis and the included fan. a different fan is not worth 40 dollars. and for the lower wattage units, they both use a ADDA fan

thats stupid. they perform the same in games. the only difference the i7 makes is in multi-threaded workloads. true though is buying a k chip means you have to overclock

seasonic you can consider them as the best but then superflower is just as good. just that its not widely known by most people. corsair doesnt make their own psus. they get them from seasonic, flextronics, and ChannelWell.

also, recommending 1000w for a 2 video card setup is plain stupid

in your logical sense, therefore the smartest thing to do is to get a 1250w seasonic for my little brothers rig with a pentium e2220 running off of intergrated graphics just because it uses very little power and will make my psu last longer? if your theory was true, i wouldnt see a single 1250w unit on the shelf of ncix when i visit the store. tell me, do you have a 1000+w psu in your rig?