Reset badges in the last few days.

• Thread starter Deleted member 217926
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

This is more of an FYI. It's not really anything I am concerned about. I have had a few badges reset or change in the last few days. I just noticed this though.

1) It shows me as having a Warden badge ( 3 months of alerts ) when at first it showed me as having the Panopticon badge. I have had the 10 months of alerts badge on the old forums for years. And at first I had it here.

2) It shows me as having the Reader badge. When in fact I had the Reporter badge at first. I also had the 10 months of comments badge on the old forums.

As I said it's not really a problem but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Edit: Ok I had 12 best answers this month and now I have 11? I understand and actually like that sometimes a best answer can be unselected but do you at least get a PM if that happens?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there. Not sure about Panopticon vs. Warden, but since we haven't been 3 months into the new platform yet, you shouldn't be showing the Panopticon to my knowledge. If you were temporarily seeing the longer time-frame badges, it may have been a temporary glitch during the transition while things were still being worked out. But we do appreciate the heads-up on it.

As for the Best Answers, you'll note that you can actually end up losing a Best Answer, depending on whether or not a thread is tagged appropriately, or if the answer is de-selected due to moderation or other means. Those questions and more are answered in the Badges FAQ you can find here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1631966/badges-reputation-faq.html

D

Deleted member 217926

So the Panopticon and Reporter badges should not have carried over from their equivalent in the old forums? Because until yesterday I had them both. And I m still showing a Warden badge so that 3 months is coming from somewhere. I am in the US ( Georgia ) and have always accessed the site through .com not the UK mirror. Oh well I certainly understand having to work out the kinks.

As to best answers I understand the new system and even like that the best answer can be changed. My question was are you notified in any way when you lose a best answer? It would be nice to get a PM. In my opinion that would make it much less likely that someone could just arbitrarily decide to say come along and delete hundreds of best answers. It only takes 5 best answers to start unselecting other best answers and it would be really easy to get 5 best answers in a few hours if someone just wanted to screw up the forums. I can think of some banned ex members immature enough to do something like that.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We're going to be increasing the threshold from 5 to 20 to prevent abuse and to ensure that only quality veterans in their subject matters are capable of setting Best Answers. As for the badge timing issue, I'll look into this and get back to you - though worth noting there were no equivalents of the Panopticon and Reporter badges in the previous version to carry over to the new.

D

Deleted member 217926

though worth noting there were no equivalents of the Panopticon and Reporter badges in the previous version to carry over to the new.

The Warden/Panopticon badge is from alerting the mods to inappropriate content correct? The old forum had a Bronze/Watchman, Silver/Spy and 10 month Gold/Chief of the Watch badge.

The Reader/Commentator/Reporter badges are the direct equivalent of the Freshman/Bronze, Sophomore/Silver and 10 month Senior/Gold badges for commentating on news articles correct?

I never deleted any PMs :) and yeah I had to look!

We're going to be increasing the threshold from 5 to 20 to prevent abuse and to ensure that only quality veterans in their subject matters are capable of setting Best Answers.

Great, glad to hear that. I feel that 5 was to low a number. 20 sounds very reasonable.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes I had both the Gold Chief of the Watch badge for 10 months of alerting the mods and the Gold Senior badge for 10 months of comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.