Ssd vs v raptor

I have a v raptor 600 gig drive for my gaming as window 7. I was planing on getting a ssd and don't know if it will make a big diff in gaming or is it better to spend that money on a good video card cause my 4870x2 is getting old. I have a Asus p6t deluxe and 12 gigs ram 2000 MHz and 1000 power supply for gaming
6 answers Last reply
More about ssd raptor
  1. You have an older motherboard that only supports SATA 2 3Gb/s devices. A modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive will work with your motherboard but performance will be at SATA 2 levels. Typically you will not notice any differences in performance unless you run synthetic benchmarks which are designed to grossly exaggerate minor performance differences.

There are some advantages to using an ssd instead of a hard disk drive for gaming. Most of it has to do with reading and loading. When you start a game it will load quicker than a hard drive. Game levels, maps, charts, and lists will load faster faster. If you are playing against other users who do no have ssd's, then you'll be able to select equipment and weapons quicker and be ready for them. On the other hand an ssd will not improve FSP. If you play games on line you will still be at the mercy of your ISP. My ISP is not very good.

I would suggest the following upgrade path:

1. motherboard that supports SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's and PCIe 3.0 graphic cards.
    2. PCIe 3.0 based graphics card.
    3. SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd

If you are still interestd in a new ssd, I normally recommend Samsung. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
  2. And how about my CPU do I need to upgrade that as well. It's i7 920 2.67

Thanks
  3. How's the regular Samsung 840 500 gig I can get them for 300
  4. I keep forgetting to mention motherboards and cpu's. Intel Core i7-920 series processors use motherboards equipped with an LGA1366 socket. Unfortunately the LGA1366 socket motherboards have been phased out in favor of newer models with newer sockets. The Intel Core i7 900 series cpu's have also been phased out. That would mean upgrading both. :(

You have a very good cpu. It is a shame an updated motherboard is not available for it. I have the same problem with my Intel Core i7 860 cpu which is designed for motherboards with LGA 1156 sockets.

The Samsung 840 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive is a very good ssd for typical everyday use and gaming. However, I should mention there has been some concern expressed about the longevity of the ssd memory. Samsung decided to use triple level cell (TLC) memory in the 840. This is the first time web sites that publish technical reviews have seen an ssd with TLC memory. It is something new. The number of times that memory can be used is limited. Different types of memory have different life spans. TLC memory has a shorter lifespan than other types of memory. This has caused some moaning and groaning in the forums. Usually those who complain fail to read articles in their entirety and put it in proper perspective. The articles have clearly explained that if a user were to write and then delete 10GB of data every single day of the year, then an ssd with TLC memory should last about 7 to 8 years. I don't know anyone who saves and deletes 10GB of data every single day for years and years.

In the meantime, Micron which is the parent company of Crucial, SanDisk, and LG which is the parent company of Plextor have announced they will be introducing ssd's with TLC memory.
  5. so should i jut sty low for not just do a ati 7970 and then wait for a nice upgrade so i wont waste any money for now or just take the dump ;p;
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Raptor Gaming Storage