PC Turns on, then off, then on with no display.

phingo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
So I decided to clean my cpu heatsink because there was way too much dust buildup. I ran the heatsink through water to clean it since my air duster was running out. I waited for it to completely dry, but it now has water marks (yeah I know dumb of me). I reapplied new thermal compound, re-installed the heatsink, and connected everything. I started up the computer and after about 4-5 seconds, it turns off for 2-3 seconds and turns back on and stays on, but it doesn't display anything on the monitor. I made sure everything was seated correctly. I tested the psu, gpu, RAM, and HD to make sure it wasn't the problem. I didn't test out the monitor, but I am very sure it's not the problem. I tried using the onboard graphics of the mobo to see if my gpu was the problem and it still has the same issue. I think it might be either the cpu or mobo. Any suggestions anyone? Also sorry for this horribly structured paragraph and thanks for any input. >.<

Specs:
intel hd i5-2500k w/ cm hyper 212+ heatsink
asus micro-atx maximus IV gene-z z68 mobo
evga 1gb gtx 460 sc
2x 4gb corsair vengeance 1600
antec modular hcg-n 620w psu
seagate barracuda 1tb hd

Solution

:D

Can't imagine water would harm the heatsink, provided you removed the fan, how did you apply the paste? It's highly conductive, and too much can flow on to the mobo causing merry mayhem... Hopefully when you say 'dry' there were no liquid puddles waiting for the fan to spread around...

Can only suggest you connect the mobo with cpu and one stick of RAM. If it runs without stopping, add components until it fails, though it may well be the mobo, damage caused by overheating before you removed the dust.

phingo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
So my debug led on the mobo is stuck at the number 30. Debug 30 means that the system is waking up from S3 sleep state. Also I didn't notice this before, but my DRAM led light is on, so I'm guessing both my DRAM sticks went bad at the same time. Doesn't explain the reason why my pc powers off then back on again (and stays on) though unless that's normal.

update: I found the problem. I didn't reseat my ram correctly. Now my pc is up and running again. Thanks for the help dodger46 :D

Not normal behaviour, unless doing an update that requires a restart. At least if the RAM is bad it would be the cheapest repair. Try running with one at a time in different slots. Only other cheap diagnosis would be to buy a Celeron off Ebay to prove the CPU

:D

Solution