BSOD associated with memory management

Jakob Brun

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Hey guys! First time poster here.

I encountered a strange problem yesterday on my ~1 year old desktop computer. During a computer game the screen froze and didnt come to for several minutes. I rebooted the computer, it went to the login screen and I typed in my password as usual. I then get a BSOD with the memory management error, and the 0x0000001A stop. This happens regardless of whether I start in safe mode, regular mode or whatever. Running the repair tool that comes with windows 7 it sometimes shows after a faulty shutdown, gives me the oportunity of restoring my system, but if I opt to do so I get another BSOD ("IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and a 0x0000000A stop code). I've done some odd googling and there are several posts with problems like this, only they can sometimes successfully log in and use various software to pinpoint the problem. Out of 10 tries I've gotten blue screen every time I try to log on. The computer has been running near flawlessly for over a year, and suddenly this happens out of nowhere... Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not the biggest gear-head but if memory serves its an i5 cpu, the mobo is from ASUS and has "P8Z68-V LX" printed on it. RAM blocks are two corsair 4 GB sticks, I forgot which brand the harddrive and video card are from but since the error is a memory management thing, I figured it has something to do with the RAM... But when it comes to my PC I am really not much of a "Im just gonna randomly try stuff" guy, so I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give.

Using a working computer go here http://www.memtest86.com/ and download a copy of memtest. Burn it to a CD (there will be instructions on the site) and run it.

If it starts giving memory errors you will know that it is your RAM that is messing things up.

If you get errors. Shut your computer off, and remove 1 stick of RAM, re-run the process.

Then after you get the results, re-run the test using the other stick. This will help you pin-point if it is just 1 stick bad, or both.