Intel rapid Storage Technology On SSD with OS

BigDaddyM

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Do I understand it correctly, that if I have my OS on an SSD with Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed, I still Benefit with the SSD cash with the other programs on my hdd?

My setup is going to be my operating system and main programs on my SSD with data and secondary programs on my HDD. The hdd Will be two Western Digital Black hard drives, 500 GB in raid zero. If I use Programs installed on the HDD less often but every now and then use them frequently for periods of a couple days Intel Rapid Storage Technology should activate and use the cash on the ssd for those programs, correct?

The answer to your question is yes. An ssd cache will benefit software applications installed on a single hard disk drive.

You mentioned using the cache for two hard disk drives that are in a RAID0 array. It is possible to use a cache with two hard disk drives in a RAID0 array but there is little benefit to doing that. It will probably only improve reads a little bit. Here is a link to an aricle which you might find interesting:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology.htm

How large a cache were you going to create? 32GB or 64GB? You might be better off installing some of your secondary applications on the ssd instead of using it as cache. That way you'll get the full benefit of ssd performance.

BigDaddyM

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
JohnnyLucky, Thanks for ther reply. I was thinking 32GB. My fear is filling up the ssd. Although I do have an additional 128 GB ssd. Maybe I should use the ssd's for all the programs. I was going to use the second ssd for a scratch disk for Adobe Premiere Video Processing???
If I so that I can skip the Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

I recommend using the ssd or ssd's for all of your software applications and utilities. Might as well get the full benefit of ssd performance.

You mentioned Adobe products and use of a scratch disk. Have you considered using some of the memory installed on your motherboard as a ramdisk which can function as a scratch disk? Here is a link to a recent article:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/2013/01/ramdisks-maximizing-high-capacity-ram/#.UU9TkSfn_5c