Sign in with
Your question

3d Glossy Gaming Monitor 27" Suggestions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2013 12:45:05 PM

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new 27" 3d monitor for a gaming PC I recently built. I'm using a GTX 680.

I understand I would need a monitor capable of 120hz so that each eye would see 60fps, so I believe all IPS monitors are out of the question, as they are not currently offered at 120hz, with the exception of the 2560x1440 panels from Korea via overclocking, but those are not 3d ready.

I don't think there are any non IPS 2560x1440 monitors either. So basically this leaves me looking for a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, 3d ready, with a glossy finish. If any of these statements are incorrect though, let me know.

Does anyone have recommendations that meet this criteria?

Thank you!
a b 4 Gaming
a c 133 C Monitor
March 24, 2013 12:54:35 PM

AvalancheRyder said:
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new 27" 3d monitor for a gaming PC I recently built. I'm using a GTX 680.

I understand I would need a monitor capable of 120hz so that each eye would see 60fps, so I believe all IPS monitors are out of the question, as they are not currently offered at 120hz, with the exception of the 2560x1440 panels from Korea via overclocking, but those are not 3d ready.

I don't think there are any non IPS 2560x1440 monitors either. So basically this leaves me looking for a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, 3d ready, with a glossy finish. If any of these statements are incorrect though, let me know.

Thank you!

I don't know of any glossy finished 3D Vision 2 monitors, which is what you'll want above all else with that video card. I can't seem to find any in any search. Are you sure you need it to be glossy? The only glossy 3D monitors I know of are Samsung HD3D, which won't give you the advantages of 3D Vision 2.

Personally, I'd just get the VG278H and live with the "lightly matte" screen. If you switch to Samsung and get an AMD card, you won't get the support of the 3D Vision community here, which is a huge advantage:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2013 12:57:22 PM

In 3D you are limited to a maximum of 1080p, so even if you could overclock a 1440p monitor to 120Hz it wouldn't work. Also theres little point in being lucky enough to get an IPS panel to 120Hz and have it capable of 3D (which isn't the case, it still has to be certified to work, or hacked) because the better colours and contrast on an IPS combined with its slow response rate compared to a TN panel would produce terrible ghosting.

Your only option is a VG278H, its performance in 3D games is really outstanding, Lightboost means you pretty much don't lose any of the light from going to 2D to 3D mode, exceptional at producing little ghosting (though not as good as a DLP projector). Though, its not that great if you aren't using it for 3D, certainly not worth the price, colours aren't so great and for the price you could get a 1440p panel. If you're serious about 3D then absolutely go for it, probably the best 3D display there is, unless you want a projector. But if you're just looking to get 3D for something to play around with every now and again I would just forget it and go with a 1440p panel, 3D is very expensive and it takes quite a bit of time to set games up to work properly. That said, 3D transforms a game like nothing else can.
Related resources
March 24, 2013 12:59:04 PM

bystander said:
AvalancheRyder said:
Hi all,

Thank you!

I don't know of any glossy finished 3D Vision 2 monitors, which is what you'll want above all else with that video card. I can't seem to find any in any search. Are you sure you need it to be glossy? The only glossy 3D monitors I know of are Samsung HD3D, which won't give you the advantages of 3D Vision 2.

Personally, I'd just get the VG278H and live with the "lightly matte" screen. If you switch to Samsung and get an AMD card, you won't get the support of the 3D Vision community here, which is a huge advantage:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

So the VG278H is only lightly matte? I feel like the colors aren't as vibrant on the matte screen. I prefer glossy since if there is significant glare, I can always put an anti-glare filter. I can't do the reverse though and make the matte screen glossy with a filter. If there are no pure glossy screens, I may order the VG278H to see it in person. Even being slightly matte is an improvement in my opinion. Thanks for the input!

a b 4 Gaming
a c 133 C Monitor
March 24, 2013 1:00:07 PM

Btw, I just finished Far Cry 3 with the Helix fix, and I think I found my new favorite 3D Vision game. It looks incredible in 3D.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 133 C Monitor
March 24, 2013 1:01:28 PM

AvalancheRyder said:

So the VG278H is only lightly matte? I feel like the colors aren't as vibrant on the matte screen. I prefer glossy since if there is significant glare, I can always put an anti-glare filter. I can't do the reverse though and make the matte screen glossy with a filter. If there are no pure glossy screens, I may order the VG278H to see it in person. Even being slightly matte is an improvement in my opinion. Thanks for the input!

I read it was lightly matte in a review during my search.

But when you have the 3D Vision glasses on, and hit with the 3D effect, I think matte will be the last thing you notice.
March 24, 2013 1:18:44 PM

cookybiscuit said:
In 3D you are limited to a maximum of 1080p, so even if you could overclock a 1440p monitor to 120Hz it wouldn't work. Also theres little point in being lucky enough to get an IPS panel to 120Hz and have it capable of 3D (which isn't the case, it still has to be certified to work, or hacked) because the better colours and contrast on an IPS combined with its slow response rate compared to a TN panel would produce terrible ghosting.

Your only option is a VG278H, its performance in 3D games is really outstanding, Lightboost means you pretty much don't lose any of the light from going to 2D to 3D mode, exceptional at producing little ghosting (though not as good as a DLP projector). Though, its not that great if you aren't using it for 3D, certainly not worth the price, colours aren't so great and for the price you could get a 1440p panel. If you're serious about 3D then absolutely go for it, probably the best 3D display there is, unless you want a projector. But if you're just looking to get 3D for something to play around with every now and again I would just forget it and go with a 1440p panel, 3D is very expensive and it takes quite a bit of time to set games up to work properly. That said, 3D transforms a game like nothing else can.

Great, thanks for the information. This is a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of, so it's good to know. I'm honestly not sure how serious I am about 3d. I've seen it in store demos for console games, though it did give me a headache after several minutes. I'd like to try it on PC games though. I've heard the headaches wear off after a little bit of use. I'm sure everyone is different , so I would like to try it and see how I like it.

I have been having a hard time choosing a monitor. Text is much crisper on the 2560x1440 panels due to the pixel density, though they are limited to 60hz with the exception of the overclockable models from Korea. I'm trying to find a differentiating factor to make selecting a monitor easier, which is why I was looking into 3d. If 3d is worth it, there are only a handful of monitors to choose from. I work from home though so I will be using the monitor for office applications 8 hours a day as well as gaming. So it's very hard to find a single monitor that really excels at everything.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2013 1:26:48 PM

Disregard anything you saw running on console, its not the same type of 3D. The 3D ran through the Nvidia driver works the same as your eyes do in real life, it basically takes two cameras slightly apart, acting as your eyes, so you view the game exactly as real life. Things stretch out in-front of you, and you can perceive depth on an object (e.g. a person pointing their arm towards you, you can tell the tip of their finger is closer to you than say, their head). The 3D used by console is the kind of crap that (unfortunately) Crysis 2 and 3 use on the PC, it just splits things further apart based on how far they are away, you can sort of tell how far things away are but you don't get anything like the effect of proper 3D. Its used because it takes far less processing power.
March 24, 2013 2:05:28 PM

cookybiscuit said:
Disregard anything you saw running on console, its not the same type of 3D. The 3D ran through the Nvidia driver works the same as your eyes do in real life, it basically takes two cameras slightly apart, acting as your eyes, so you view the game exactly as real life. Things stretch out in-front of you, and you can perceive depth on an object (e.g. a person pointing their arm towards you, you can tell the tip of their finger is closer to you than say, their head). The 3D used by console is the kind of crap that (unfortunately) Crysis 2 and 3 use on the PC, it just splits things further apart based on how far they are away, you can sort of tell how far things away are but you don't get anything like the effect of proper 3D. Its used because it takes far less processing power.

Ok, that's good to know too. Do you know if there is a difference between the VG278H and VG278HE? Aside from the fact that the VG278HE doesn't come with the 3d kit and has 144hz refresh rate instead?
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2013 2:23:00 PM

No, they're essentially the same monitor, just the H has the inbuilt emitter. Also the HE won't perform any better in 3D since the glasses operate at 120Hz so the monitor downclocks itself to meet that.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 133 C Monitor
March 24, 2013 2:31:34 PM

I actually found Crysis 2 on the PC to still look good in 3D, but it is clear they aren't doing the full quality stereoscopic 3D as most games do. It is better than any movie or 3D conversion method, but not as good as you get from Tomb Raider or Far Cry 3, and most any other 3D Vision game. I believe they use virtual 3D, which takes a single image, and extrapolates a 2nd view from it, though still doing stereoscopic, as it does know the depth of objects, it creates some halo effects as a result, and things are a tad flat. I haven't tried Crysis 3, but I agree, it is not as good as most games.
March 24, 2013 2:42:41 PM

Cool. I think I am going to go ahead and order either the VG278H or VG278HE + the 3d Vision Kit, whichever is less expensive. Thanks again!
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2013 3:11:08 PM

Whatever you get make sure you get 3D Vision 2 glasses, they come with the H, but if you go for the HE don't cheap out on first gen glasses, they're horrible.
!