Help choosing a SSD

shlock0396

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
hey guys, im in the market for a new ssd. i want one thats 128 gb, and priced around 130. ive been looking around, and i like the ocz vector, but people are complaining about its reliability. People have said the samsung 840 is good, but i dont like the idea of having tlc flash. Anybody know about the ocz vector? im also open to any/all ssd suggestions.

P.S i also lookes at the pny prevail elite, and kingston hyper x 3k both of which i liked

I normally recommend Samsung. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

What don't you like about triple level cell memory in solid state drives? Longevity? The Samsung 840 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive is a very good ssd for typical everyday use and gaming. There has been some concern expressed about the longevity of the ssd memory. Samsung decided to use triple level cell (TLC) memory in the 840 to make it more affordable. This is the first time web sites that publish technical reviews have seen an ssd with TLC memory. It is something new. The number of times that memory can be used is limited. Different types of memory have different life spans. TLC memory has a shorter lifespan than other types of memory. This has caused some moaning and groaning in the forums. Usually those who complain fail to read articles in their entirety and put it in proper perspective. The articles have clearly explained that if a user were to write and then delete 10GB of data every single day of the year, then an ssd with TLC memory should last about 7 to 8 years. I don't know anyone who saves and deletes 10GB of data every single day for years and years.

In the meantime, Micron which is the parent company of Crucial, SanDisk, and LG which is the parent company of Plextor have announced they will be introducing ssd's with TLC memory.