Reported CPU temperatures

Gaylo83

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
So I just got a new MSI 990FX mobo and the AMD 8350 8-core cpu.
HWMonitor and Coretemp report temperatures in the teens (Celsius) at idle while Speedfan reports temps in the mid 40s C. While under load HWM and Coretemp rise only into the mid-high 30s and Speedfan rises to the mid-high 60s (which is too high from what I've read).
Stock fan, not overclocked and my case has very good airflow.

Why are HWM and CT so low? Is Speedfan accurate, and why would it be running so hot?

After its been under load I try to restart and enter the bios to view temps but its always back down into the mid-high 40s

Update:

Just downloaded the trial version of AIDA64
At idle right now AIDA reads the CPU temp at 32C and Speedfan reads 39C
AIDA reads individual Core temps at 11C which matches up with CoreTemp
How can 11C be accurate? Which temperatures should I actually be worried about, CPU temp or the actual Core temps.

Jianni123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013

My idle temps are around the 30 mark on each core at 3.8Ghz. To monitor temperatures i use HWM and Realtemp. If you run the CPU under load using Prime95 it will tell you the temperatures.
They both will tell you the Temperatures on each core. What i would do is Open up HWM and realtemp when you boot your PC and check the temperatures on each core. Then run Prime95 SmallFFT for a few hours with the other two progams running. After abit it will tell you the minimum temperature and the maximum on each core.
I would leave speedfan out of the question.
AIDA64 i have had no experience with.
I would worry about the core temps.
IMO i wouldnt let the temperature reach around 75 on full load on any core.